How grand in my imagination it is.

Apologies to Sir William

Pat D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well done, sir, well done.

Now get you to the contest table, and tell the judges, let
the PE be an inch thick, to this finish it must
come; make them laugh at that seat belt.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Glad to see the last two posts are in a light hearted vein!

Some of you guys know more Shakespeare than most! And one referring to the King's English.      Oxford or US? LOL!

BKB and OOB.... Just scrap both and categorise as Kit Detailed and the modeller can build either way and be judged on how well the model is made and painted, not about any other 'stuff' used.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 1:25 PM, patd said:

I think if more IPMS members READ the rules carefully and the preamble to the rules defining BKB much of this self-inflicted confusion and frustration would go away.

Ay, there’s the rub!

Edited by SkyKing
  • Like 2

To research — to buy.
To build — perchance to enter: ay, there’s the rub!
For in that toil of construct, what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off to the Nats,
BKB must give us pause.

Hey, this is fun.  It is so fun, I demand a Shakespearean category ... which will have a BKB option.  One can enter Shakespeare's original remains as BKB ... or embellish them with shrouds and pointy shoes and pen and quill, resin or PE ... as a regular entry.  If you add Anne Hathaway, then it's a vignette.  Include the Globe and its a diorama.

man-in-hamlet-costume-picture-id497983548.jpg

• Haha 2

Alas, poor Yoric has not joined IPMS yet!

Welcome to the world of competitive, argumentative model making!   LOL.

Er, isn't this supposed to be a relaxing, fun hobby to unwind to? 

Me, I'm just a serious modeller who does not take himself too seriously.

Edited by noelsmith
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2022 at 12:17 PM, JClark said:

Noel

This is exactly why the change was made. it's not OOB anymore and people have to remember that.

An Eduard weekend edition kit could be OOB provided you don't add any aftermarket. How is a profi pack kit with the aftermarket included in the kit the same as the weekend kit? It's not. The intent of OOB when the rule was created was to build the kit as they came out in that era because of the falsehood prevailed that you had to add extras to win. By adding the extras in the box is semantics as it doesn't follow the spirit of the creation of the OOB rule. So that's why there is a name change and an attempt to get back to where the original meaning was. Times have changed, kits have changed. So if you can't add Eduard PE to a Eduard Weekend kit for an OOB build but you can add the very same Eduard PE to the same kit just because it came in the box then what's the point? Hence the thrust to get back to the basic attempt. Building basic kits that didn't come with all the bells and whistles.

Personally I would like to see OOB and now BKB go away since I do not see any reason for it since the logic behind it's very creation was a fallacy. For all those who want to build that way that's fine, enter in the regular categories, you'll do just fine. You don't need extras to win, what you do need is overall execution of construction and finish of your project. 

Jim

Yes. Replaced by exposed internals and not....

You just can't weather anything...

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by AfterburnerDecals

The Genie has been let out of the bottle !

I don't think that there has ever been such a thing as a week end kit when built by a member of IPMS.

The debate continues ad infinitum!  

Edited by noelsmith

• 4 months later...

One last question, I am finishing up a couple of armor kits that have that black “screening” material in it that is used as a engine  screen in the kits. 
would that be allowed? It really adds nothing to the overall finish/detailing of the kit. 
thank you for your assistance,

Mike

--- and this black "screening" material is or is not the same as the single predominant material as the rest of the kit?

We recently  ran a local contest using BKB/Single Media rules fashioned after the NCC rules.   Several armor entries with nylon screen were disqualified from the BKB category and moved to the regular categories over complaints of I didn't know.

I just have a quick question that I hope someone can answer. I have asked a few members about this but get a split answer and I apologize if it has been answered and I overlooked it in a previous response. is bare metal foil allowed or not? I know with the new BKB category they are trying to get back to the basics which I understand. And I know they don't want numerous "can we do this or add this" questions. But the only reason I ask is that they say you can add aftermarket decals for various reasons so basically bare metal foil is a decal. I just would like to know if adding bare metal foil to a automotive entry for windshield trim and side trim will knock me out of BKB and put into a regular class. I have entries in both BKB and regular classes but would like to keep a BKB in that class if possible. 

Thanks in advance for any help or answers.

Rocky

Rocky, I agree with you. Foils are like decals, unless they are used as a structural replacement. If one uses a thicker aluminum foil to reshape the model, I'd have so say no, then ask the head judge for a ruling.

The trickiest area would be the use of foils on a spacecraft, where the foil actually changes the structural "look" of the vehicle, like the LM.