Jump to content

So, who wants to host in 2024, 2025?


Recommended Posts

From the minutes:

"The board is open to proposals from all areas of the US to host the 2024 IPMS/USA National Convention. Hosting proposals can be put forth by individual chapters or regional "teams" with members from multiple chapters in key roles."

 

Does this mean there are no bidders? What exactly does it mean?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, jcorley said:

WRT Disappointed Bidders, do what Omaha did: prepare a bid with dates in TWO years.

Columbia did, too.  We bid in '12 for '14, lost that bid, then bid in '14 for '16.  If you plan it well, there's not much rework to do on the bid package--do a price check, amend the numbers, and present the bid.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Virginia Beach in 2008 was good.

Columbus 2015 was fantastic.

 

They’re both drivable for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

James I had a blast at Columbus! It might be possible for me to attend as my brother lives there and I could save tons of money by staying with him. I wouldn't even have to rent a car as he has an extra.

 

Now if I could only save enough to actually go....provided they get it again.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2022 at 9:02 PM, jcorley said:

From the minutes:

"The board is open to proposals from all areas of the US to host the 2024 IPMS/USA National Convention. Hosting proposals can be put forth by individual chapters or regional "teams" with members from multiple chapters in key roles."

 

Does this mean there are no bidders? What exactly does it mean?

Yes, inquiring minds would like to know.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2022 at 6:19 PM, bonanf35 said:

Ralph, is SC interested in doing another one? I loved everything about the show.

Since my two terms as Chief Cook and Bottle Washer in the Columbia chapter are over and I'm back in the peanut gallery, I'm not in a position to officially comment.  The Columbia chapter is under new management, so anything is possible...

Cheers!
R

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, MRechlicz said:

Any word on who might be bidding for 2024 convention?

There are currently no bids for the 2024 convention. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, bonanf35 said:

There are currently no bids for the 2024 convention. 

I honestly can say I'm not surprised with COVID variants still bouncing around and God only knows what gas prices may be.  Until the world stabilizes and Russia gets the hell out of Ukraine, I for one would be thinking long and hard before committing my chapter to such a costly endevour.  Maybe the E-board should consider some "incentives" for the 2024 host chapter(s) to prime the pump.

Just a thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Once you interrupt a pattern of behavior it can be difficult to get it back. The fact that the process was interrupted for a year is most likely the cause in my opinion. I also think we need to realize that everything is always increasing in cost, sometimes faster than at other times, and that the convention has been a bargain for years. The cost is likely to rise greatly for the attendees in the near future. Perhaps it should have already. As for COVID, it is here to stay and the world is always in chaos.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There may well be chapters investigating the possibility of hosting, but rising costs and a good economy make that difficult. In 1998 we hosted the nationals in Santa Clara - the heart of booming Silicon Valley! - but our bid was put together in 1996, after a sharp economic slowdown in late 1995, when the convention center was eager to book space. By 1998, the economy had come roaring back and the convention center people would have loved for us to cancel so they could get some real, paying business! 

Right now, the economy is on the rebound, corporate live events are booming back and we may be forced to compete with two years of pent-up demand from other organizations. Having watched the ebb and flow of these things since 1995, this is just part of the broader pattern for the event. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/2/2022 at 7:54 AM, MRechlicz said:

If no one bids for 2024, who gets the convention?

I'm guessing that nobody gets it and there isn't one. 

Edited by Highlander
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2022 at 8:25 PM, ShutterAce said:

Once you interrupt a pattern of behavior it can be difficult to get it back. The fact that the process was interrupted for a year is most likely the cause...

...the convention has been a bargain for years. The cost is likely to rise greatly for the attendees in the near future. Perhaps it should have already. ...

Interesting observations.  I quite agree that interrupted patterns are difficult to reestablish.  Whether the interruption was the primary cause is debatable; I personally don't adhere to that belief.  But it is, I think,, a factor.  Which leads us to ....

In  other venues, on other threads, I have observed that the cost of attending a major convention has gone up, is going up. and will go up more.  My wife, who attends several in her areas of interest, has noted the same.  And we haven't factored in the cost of travel ... I checked some airline fares last night and noted that (1) they have really gone up, (2) flight availability and convenience has declined,  and (3) the flights are still filling up.  Combine that with the "cheap bastard" phenomenon and convention planners now have to be more concerned about attendance than previously.

Yet another factor is the issue of having enough main convention hotel rooms to hold a significant fraction of the attendees, without regard to the cost.  My wife is attending a big quilting show/contest later this year and the convention hotel rooms went at $279  ... and sold out within three hours.  This fall, at another convention, the hotel has now released two additional blocks of rooms ... prices went from $129 to $159 to $189 ... and sold out.  However, even if the convention hotel is completely committed to the Con, it usually cannot hold enough attendees to make the convention a success -- there need to be some number of attendees staying at other hotels. 

I have also noted that, in our neck of the woods, the number and the content of local contests has dwindled.  Apparently no regional again this year (BTW, IMHO, slapping a last minute "Regional" label onto an existing one day contest does not make it a Regional).  It seems that, other than the one day quickie, clubs have lost enthusiasm for larger, longer, more extensive contests.  I hold that the primary cause of lack of bids is the "let somebody else do it" zeitgeist.  If that spirit leads to a year without a Nats, IPMS will need to take a very hard look at what we are all about.

It is getting interesting.

Edited by Highlander
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That begs the question; How high do gas prices have to get before forcing participants to stay home; $5.00, $6.00 a gallon?  I recall asking the same question when gas flirted with $3.00 a gallon and that didn't seem to affect attendance that much.   Walk-in traffic is responsible for a considerable chunk of earnings for our convention.  I live in Oklahoma and prices here are a bargain compared to the rest of the country.  For me, I would probably draw the line at $5.00 a gallon.  It will be interesting to see what prices are when the Nats roll around.  As I said, it's no wonder there are currently no bidders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Highlander said:

Interesting observations.  I quite agree that interrupted patterns are difficult to reestablish.  Whether the interruption was the primary cause is debatable; I personally don't adhere to that belief.  But it is, I think,, a factor.  Which leads us to ....

In  other venues, on other threads, I have observed that the cost of attending a major convention has gone up, is going up. and will go up more.  My wife, who attends several in her areas of interest, has noted the same.  And we haven't factored in the cost of travel ... I checked some airline fares last night and noted that (1) they have really gone up, (2) flight availability and convenience has declined,  and (3) the flights are still filling up.  Combine that with the "cheap bastard" phenomenon and convention planners now have to be more concerned about attendance than previously.

Yet another factor is the issue of having enough main convention hotel rooms to hold a significant fraction of the attendees, without regard to the cost.  My wife is attending a big quilting show/contest later this year and the convention hotel rooms went at $279  ... and sold out within three hours.  This fall, at another convention, the hotel has now released two additional blocks of rooms ... prices went from $129 to $159 to $189 ... and sold out.  However, even if the convention hotel is completely committed to the Con, it usually cannot hold enough attendees to make the convention a success -- there need to be some number of attendees staying at other hotels. 

I have also noted that, in our neck of the woods, the number and the content of local contests has dwindled.  Apparently no regional again this year (BTW, IMHO, slapping a last minute "Regional" label onto an existing one day contest does not make it a Regional).  It seems that, other than the one day quickie, clubs have lost enthusiasm for larger, longer, more extensive contests.  I hold that the primary cause of lack of bids is the "let somebody else do it" zeitgeist.  If that spirit leads to a year without a Nats, IPMS will need to take a very hard look at what we are all about.

It is getting interesting.

Hi David,

Thanks for your feedback. I'd like to focus on your last paragraph. The notion that a day will come when no one bids on a nationals is a very real possibility and one of the reasons I chose to run for national office. We are making significant progress behind the scenes, details to be released soon, on how we're thinking about it and ultimately dealing with it. 

If interested in supporting the initiative, I'd encourage you or any other member to reach out to me. I'm happy to discuss our thoughts, gather your feedback, and take any help offered. 

Cheers,

John 

Edited by bonanf35
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bonanf35 said:

We are making significant progress behind the scenes, details to be released soon, on how we're thinking about it and ultimately dealing with it. 

A standing set of Blue/Gold Convention teams and a rotation of set locations with contract guarantees have been proposed several times and it may be time to revive the idea given the expense and lack of bidders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After attending closely to these interchanges, I conclude that the IPMS approach, although imperfect, is really pretty good.

As I have said elsewhere, I was/am involved in a major national convention for another hobby.  The structure for that convention is that the National Office owns the convention while the local chapter largely organizes and executes it.  Thus National could and has and does direct various aspects of funding, programming, content, advertising, timing ... and theoretically has final say on most everything.  Which might be fair, because National signs all the contracts and pays all the bills.  So, if there is a disaster, National bites the bullet and our local chapter is financially in the clear.  The local club provides the foot soldiers and "middle management" for the national convention.

HST, the issue here is that communication between National and the local club is critical, but has been problematic.  Thus, the local club makes decisions because someone has to and National -- which is not keeping itself constantly informed -- often asks if the decisions can be changed.  National can be pretty uninvolved until somebody at National wants to make a decision and discovers that it is really too late.  BTW, nobody has bid for 2023 or 2024 for a national convention.

IPMS lays the responsibility on the local chapter ... where people know what is going on locally and can adapt and improvise and make timely decisions.  It seems that the IPMS Board pretty much runs the contest and has a few meeting and the local chapter does everything else ... and bears most of the financial responsibility.  It seems more efficient but is riskier for the locals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Highlander said:

After attending closely to these interchanges, I conclude that the IPMS approach, although imperfect, is really pretty good.

As I have said elsewhere, I was/am involved in a major national convention for another hobby.  The structure for that convention is that the National Office owns the convention while the local chapter largely organizes and executes it.  Thus National could and has and does direct various aspects of funding, programming, content, advertising, timing ... and theoretically has final say on most everything.  Which might be fair, because National signs all the contracts and pays all the bills.  So, if there is a disaster, National bites the bullet and our local chapter is financially in the clear.  The local club provides the foot soldiers and "middle management" for the national convention.

HST, the issue here is that communication between National and the local club is critical, but has been problematic.  Thus, the local club makes decisions because someone has to and National -- which is not keeping itself constantly informed -- often asks if the decisions can be changed.  National can be pretty uninvolved until somebody at National wants to make a decision and discovers that it is really too late.  BTW, nobody has bid for 2023 or 2024 for a national convention.

IPMS lays the responsibility on the local chapter ... where people know what is going on locally and can adapt and improvise and make timely decisions.  It seems that the IPMS Board pretty much runs the contest and has a few meeting and the local chapter does everything else ... and bears most of the financial responsibility.  It seems more efficient but is riskier for the locals.

The 2023 Nationals will be in San Marcos, Texas. Additionally, I've had multiple conversations with potential future hosts.

Please message me any context for the late 'decisions.' Anything worth sharing will help influence making future shows better.

Your last statement concerning responsibility is misaligned with the current process. Correct, the local chapter is the main action arm of executing the convention. In fact, they are the heart and soul of the convention and the National Organization is indebted to their service.  However, the National Organization supports registration and bears the financial responsibility. The contest is managed by the National Contest Committee (NCC), which develops the rules and categories, executes judging on Friday night, and communicates the results on Saturday. They work tirelessly from Friday to Saturday in order to get the results ready for the banquet. Another team that is critical to the show's success.

The resource we're developing will clearly communicate the ins and outs of hosting a National Convention. We hope this resource, which evolves every year based on feedback, will incentivize clubs to put a bid in for nationals. I'd also encourage anyone curious or interested in any aspect of the National Convention please shoot an email to  ipmsusa2ndvp@ipmsusa.org 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

As JB VP#2 previously said 2023 is taken care of by San Marcos, Tx return to the plate.  That with 6+ years of planning should be an awesome convention and I am looking forward to attending.

As for 2024, I have lent my hand to all those that have reached out for info for their proposals based on my experience here in Las Vegas and I am sure that that you all will be happy and excited about the bids that will be coming forward soon.

There will be bidders for 2024 and possibly 2025.

 

Joe Porche'

#20296

RC#8

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...