FJ-1

FREDDIEM

Excellent progress! I'm guessing the ball-peen hammer you're using to whack that into shape is JUST out of the picture.....is your kit vac canopy yellowed, and if so, how will you tackle that? Looking forward to seeing more!

Gil :cool:

Edited by ghodges

Looks good so far.  Is that Zinc Chromate or Interior Green (or something else entirely) in the wheel wells.  I am asking because I have some aircraft models to build and I am wondering what you used to spray-paint the wheel wells with.  I am looking forward to seeing the finished model here! 🙂  

• 3 weeks later...

It's my version of Tamiya zinc-chromate.  I like Tamiya paints for a lot of things because they seem to be a water based lacquer. You don't necessarily need a primer. I especially like them for painting canopies. I can do a coat of interior color, then what ever exterior color is appropriate. This way it looks like you painted the inside.

Here is the latest "installment" on the FJ-1. I just painted the seams with flat aluminum and now will use Ca to repair any flaws. The Flat Aluminum color shows any flaws at all.

20220222_111058.jpg

• Like 1

The wings and stabilizers are on and reasonably set at the correct dihedral!  Got my "mojo" working again! Trimmed the canopy ...... ready to put it on tomorrow....hang in there folks!

20220222_150326.jpg

The canopy has been masked off and will be ready for paint as soon as it dries. Just good old masking tape and AMMO LIQUID MASK. Starting to really like that stuff

20220224_130554.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you! Taking a little break for my nerves! This is not going to be a "Magnum Opus"...... but, since I haven't really built anything for a few months it's a good project to get my "muscle  memory" back! I am amazed as to how quickly we lose the skills if we don't continue to use them. Also.....the changes that have happened in the last year or so.....

• 1 month later...

Excellent! That straight wing Fury is one of my faves (having built 3!) and I've also built several Czech Model kits; so I can really appreciate how much elbow grease it took to get that good looking result! Congrats, and thanks for letting us tag along.

Gil :cool:

• Like 1

One of the most interesting aircraft subjects I’ve seen in quite some time. Glad to hear your back at the modeling table. Great job on this one. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Chris

• Like 1

Good looking finish Fred! Man that aircraft sure looked a lot better once North American redesigned it with swept wings and tails.

• Like 1