Hello from Hagerstown, Maryland

EdCarr

Hello, everyone.  My name is Ed Carr and I live in Hagerstown, Maryland.  For those who do not really know where that is, I live about a one and a half hour drive northwest of Washington, DC and Baltimore, Maryland.  Also I live very near Sharpsburg, MD which is where the Antietam National Battlefield Park is located.  I am 45 going on 46 years old and started building models again a few years ago after not building models since my childhood.  One day, I purchased an X-wing Star Wars model and then over a few weeks I built it and from then on I have been building models more and more.  I do not really build any one specific kind of model.  I built Star Wars models mostly upon getting back into the hobby, but I built a M-41 Walker Bulldog tank just last year.  Currently, I am building a Roman War Ship kit.  I have WWII era prop plane kits as well as a WWI era British tank kit and a Star-Trek Enterprise ship kit yet to build.  I also plan on building more armor and some jets as well.  And, I still have a few more Star Wars kits to build as well, so I guess my interests so far are rather eclectic.  I am enjoying model building very much once again.  I viewed some of the other previous posts from around the turn of the new year and noticed that some members build upwards of ten plus models in a year.  I simply build about four per year, each taking about three months to complete.  I am looking forward to reading more posts as well as learning more tips and tricks from those more experienced.  I am also looking forward to seeing photos of IPMS members' models both constructed and in the process of being constructed.  Also, I hope to post some photos of my work here or there.  Thanks for reading and happy new year!      

Welcome Ed! Glad to see you join up and also welcome back to the hobby! I'm glad you plan on posting your work; we all love to see it. There are quite a number of Masters here to learn from; you'll be amazed at the things they do.

Looking forward to seeing more of your posts!

Hi Ed, and welcome to the forum! The ability to build and satisfy a wide range of interests is one of the real pluses of plastic modeling, so don't feel you have to be pegged into any one genre. Remember, if you're building it YOUR way, you're building it the RIGHT way in order to enjoy this hobby! Looking forward to seeing pics of your stuff. Let us know if we can be of any help!

welcome-to-the-team-meme.jpg.3d7e3f53c6da7f49be2bb2b2f2f5aacc.jpg

GIL :cool:

Hi, Ed, welcome!  Some of the posters have web sites where the post there builds.  I do, and you are welcome to look at what I've done.  There are build logs for most of what I have built there.  But it's important to post what you do on the forum if you want feedback or just like to share what you do. 

My website is here:  http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.htm

Edited by johneaton

Thanks for the welcome, guys!  I love the "Welcome To The Team" picture, Gil.  It really made me laugh.  🙂   John, I will check out your models on your website tomorrow (Saturday) most likely.  Thank you for posting the address, I do look forward to checking them out.  Makes me think that maybe I should get a website where I can post pictures of mine.  I did not know many modelers did that.  I do look forward to learning from the Masters, Mike.  🙂  I already learned a good bit about how to care for and clean one's airbrush.  Even though I have built some models recently, I have been using spray cans and model paint brushes mostly.  When it warms up again, in the spring or summer, I plan on doing some airbrush spray painting on some of my models.  I spray painted with an airbrush some as a child and my father saved some of my unfinished models from my youth.  I plan to practice spray painting on one of them and learning how to clean my airbrush.  I am also considering putting a Star Wars Snow Speeder together which only requires one part to be spray painted so that would be an excellent small step into learning how to spray paint again.  Maybe I will post some pictures of last year's builds soon, too.  Thanks again for the warm welcome, guys, and have fun at the bench!     

• 2 weeks later...

Ed,

Welcome to IPMS! You may not know there is an IPMS DC chapter that meets in Rockville, MD, on the third Tuesday of each month. That's a long way from Hagerstown you say? No problem. We host a Zoom meeting from our in-person meeting venue, so you can attend in-person or virtually. And, we have no dues. Please check out our web site, www.ipmsdc.org, and our IPMS DC FaceBook page. We'll be updating both very soon with a listing of upcoming programs. If you have any questions or need more information, just let me know. By the way, last year we had John Seburn, president of the Hagerstown Air Museum, speak to our group. If you haven't checked out that museum, you should!

Best Regards,

Pat Hoff

President, IPMS DC Chapter

Thanks for the invitation, Patrick.  Perhaps I will attend a DC chapter meeting in the near future.  It would be nice to connect with some local hobby enthusiasts.  Thank you for the information concerning the Hagerstown Air Museum, also.  I had no prior knowledge of its existence.  I will have to check that out as well.  Thanks again for your kind attention.  

Sounds good. If you sign up for our Google Groups account (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/ipmsdc/join), you will get meeting info (e.g., Zoom link and passcode) and you will be able to connect with other members. One of our newest members lives in Frederick. I know there are others up your way as well. There are also contests coming up soon: Old Dominion Open in Richmond on February 26th, and Model Classic in Fairfax, VA on April 16th. There will be lots and lots of contest models, lots and lots of vendors, and it's a great opportunity to meet folks and be inspired. As for the Hagerstown museum, check their web site for event dates. It is not a big museum, but they have some really interesting aircraft. It is on the site of the Fairchild aircraft factory, adjacent to the Hagerstown Airport. Fairchild played a big part in Hagerstown history from the 1940's through the early 1980's.

Cheers,

Pat