1/24 ATDA - "Angry Alligator"

K2Pete

This is the Augmented Target Docking Adapter for the Gemini Program. It was built from scratch with homemade decals and is a companion to my 1/24 Gemini 9A on which they shared the mission.

image.jpeg.668f31678a73dad8846382080029d7c2.jpeg

image.jpeg.6feb4dbc99de8b4e2614e44fc91f70c1.jpeg

image.jpeg.34f7191908a6dfee43b5558e6cdf4d02.jpeg

I used a short length of Plumbing pipe and bits of styrene. The Orange docking collar, which was under the shroud, is a funnel. The shroud was scratch built as well ... the Grey section to the far left is a spare part from a 1/24 Gemini kit which has the thrusters on it.

image.jpeg.d9a4012db4328f424078cec5308d4c8c.jpeg

I think Glenn at Real Space Models has a Resin kit of this ATDA but not in 1/24 ...

image.jpeg.c6187f949743004d63215aaba5101383.jpeg

image.jpeg.20fbf48a2a48af7dcc4226c4b746a765.jpeg

... and one more ... 

image.jpeg.02d6b36e469aa0dacbd2aa006ff5625f.jpeg

Thanx for taking a peek!

Pete

Thanx a lot Mark! ... I really do appreciate your comments! ..... re the Models, I do try to get that realistic look to them. Little details that the viewer doesn't even notice, I enjoy placing, because, you know, I know it's there. Like putting all the details, switches, gauges, in a Plane's cockpit even though it's gonna be closed right up. And when someone like you 'notices', it makes it all worthwhile. So Thanx again!

..... just between you and me, are these boards usually this quiet? ... and as you're one of 2 who have responded, do you have a real interest in the Space program or are you a moderator and you're participating as part of your job?   ;- D

I wanna post just a couple more threads and these will be my favourites ... and up here, near Niagara Falls Canada, we're getting 2 feet of snow today, so I can spend some time building up my Apollo 10 LM.  ;- D

Pete

Pete, I hate to say it but yes, these boards do tend to be quite quiet. That is until someone posts a question asking what can they add to an Our of Box model or whether the organization should adopt Gold-Silver-Bronze over 1st, 2nd, 3rd!

And no: I am not responding because I'm one of the moderators; I truly am interested in the space program. I still remember the thrill of watching Neil Armstrong descend the ladder of the LEM to place the first human foot step on the moon. In the real space department I have built a Convair Atlas, Mercury Redstone, Space Shuttle Columbia with boosters and a Saturn V rocket... all in 1/72 scale too! And another point of interest: did you follow the most recent mission to Mars started by NASA? I sing in my church choir alongside one of the leaders of that mission development and execution.

So post away my friend! Keep these coming as I truly enjoy these threads, both for their subject matter and for the increased activity on these boards.

• 2 weeks later...

Pure excellence in modeling! The scratchbuilt Agena is beautiful! I remember seeing the big glossy photos of that in Life way back when, and too young to quite comprehend what I was looking at. Seeing your build brings back those memories, but gives a far better vantage of the events.