The Duke's First Model for 2022

Mark Deliduka

It's a slow start, but I did get my first model done for 2022 fairly early. Even though the decals fought me, I'm pleased with how this turned out.

This is the ancient 1/72 scale FROG kit of the Fokker VIIB-3M "Southern Cross" trimotor. This plane is one of many firsts. To start, in 1928 it was the first plane to fly across the Pacific Ocean from San Francisco to Brisbane, Australia in 83 hours and 38 minutes. It was also the first plane to fly across Australia in 25 hours. She also made the first Australia to New Zealand flight in 23 hours. After that, she was renovated and then on April 12, 1929 she flew from Sydney Australia to England  after 12 days and 18 hours, setting another record.After a complete rebuild, she took off from Portmarnock, Ireland to attempt the first East-West flight across the Atlantic. Due to a fuel shortage, she ended up landing in Newfoundland in June 24th. Once she got to the US. she left New York to fly to San Francisco again, becoming the first aircraft to circumnavigate the world. 

Today after much use as an airliner, barnstormer, and movie plane profiling the life of Kingsford-Smith; she is now kept in a glass case in Brisbane airport. 

Here it is:

full

full

full

Thank you all for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 2

Terrific looking build of a significant airplane! Those perfectly flat seams (like on the top rear) can be a real bugger to eliminate, and yours looks great. Also, whatever aluminum you used for that top wing absolutely rocks! You're off to a GREAT start in 2022!

Gil :cool:

Thank you Gil! Yeah, it was a tough seam to fix, but in a way, I found it easy given the flat surface. The Aluminum is Vallejo's acrylic dark aluminum sprayed through my cordless airbrush.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mark, nice build!  I need to post my first finished model of the year as well.  How do you like your cordless airbrush?  Who is the manufacturer and what is its name?  This year for sure I plan on using an airbrush.  I have been using spray cans for the most part.  I appreciate the history of the plane you built.  Thanks for posting it in your post of this beautiful model.  🙂   

Thank you Ed I was surprised at how well that plane went together considering it's age. I do love the cordless airbrush; it is amazing. I'm not sure who actually makes it but it is called "No Name" right on the box. I was able to get it from Spraygunners at the Nationals. I look forward to seeing the work you do with your airbrush.

For a look at my cordless (or should I say "Hoseless") airbrush. here's pics of the box it came in and packed inside:

2040388799_Tools-PortableAirbrushI.thumb.jpg.acac50302951a6ab9be8a047be9b1cf1.jpg

1061268274_Tools-PortableAirbrushII.thumb.jpg.5e4b116012aa29e72877c096a9ab24f4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, that looks like a really nice airbrush!  I am definitely in the market for an airbrush that does not need to be hooked up to an air-compressor.  Thanks for posting the photos of the box and of the airbrush.  I am thinking about using my Paasche noob brush soon on a WWI "Tadpole" tank I am just now starting to build.  Now, if the weather cooperates...   

Thank you Ed! Yeah, check out spraygunners.com. They have these airbrushes.

Thank you Highlander! I always thought so. I was thrilled to see the actual aircraft still in existence while researching this bird.

Thank you David the Vid! I was thinking the same thing about the wing. What a huge thing it is. I do like how this turned out. As for the decals, I used the kit ones because I couldn't find any newer aftermarket ones; nor could I print my own. They were a severe challenge to work with, I used multiple coats of Solvaset that barely worked.  I finally had to use light applications of Tamiya Extra Thin to get them to lay down and the edges to stop curling.

Thanks James! I love having this in my collection.

Thank you Kevin! I also managed to get a couple other armor models done this year too, but yeah; my year's production has come to a bit of a halt due to a foot injury I had recently. Been real tough to get to the hobby bench! Hopefully I can make up for it afterward.