Completed 1/48 Iraqi Chengdu F-7B

Stikpusher

This one is finally done. I originally started this probably 10 years ago or so, then sidelined it due to a couple of moves and not being happy with my original start results. I pulled it back out a couple of months back and decided not to get all wrapped up in the kit’s errors. It’s a Chinese company’s modified clone of the Academy Mig-21 kit. There are plenty of goofs in the basic kit, so if you come across one yourself, keep on looking for something else. I used some SuperScale decals for the Iraqi markings and swiped a pair of Matra Magic missiles from another kit in my stash. It’s not my best work, but I’m happy to get it off the shelf of doom and onto display.

A4-AB1402-14-A6-4397-B511-75-D8-FDBC8-F5

870-B140-D-4-AFF-45-EE-B51-D-912195397-D

81-CBEC32-7-AB0-48-FE-9-C65-0-E1-AEDA8-A

62218985-51-B5-40-EB-8-C6-F-EFEEC9275-FB

E08-DE6-C7-60-E4-4-F0-B-AB74-1-CE555523-

51-CAB453-ED2-A-4-F05-9084-698-DD873-F09

A little distance sure helps when viewing this one…

• Like 1

Thank you Chris. Not quite as good as I wanted, but it looks good enough.

Thanks Mark! It is a simple and attractive looking camo scheme. Now I just need a sandbox to bury it in for a proper base… 😂

Oh yes, for anyone foolish enough to buy and build one of these kits, don’t forget to add weight in the nose… 🤨 

Edited by Stikpusher

Thank you Gil. I think that doing the camo was the most fun part of the project.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I agree with everyone who posted.  I love the camo paint scheme!  I think it looks great!  Also, I think it is an interesting build.  The decals- not what you would normally expect from a built plastic model.  🙂 

Thank you Ed. It’s funny that we see plenty of Iraqi armor subjects built, though arguably fewer now than years ago. But Iraqi aircraft builds are a different matter. Which is a shame because between 1980 and 1991 the Iraqis flew most of the Soviet’s most modern types, as well as then current French types. So that alone makes for a nice collection to have MiGs and Mirages side by side in the same markings. I have several more Iraqi builds planned for the future, so keep watching for them.