In Time for Christmas - Bob Crachit

Roktman

I'm calling it close for this year's Christmas model. It's Bob Crachit from Christmas Carol sculpted by John Dennett's MoonDevil Studio.  A typically nice kit in 1/5 scale. It's 2 parts of purplish resin - the bust and the base.  As with the Scrooge bust from a few years ago, it's based on the 1951 film.
AVvXsEjRTBYkgdrgZ1FYYmgCUhECb-x_onzWYK_-

Since the film was done in B&W, I had to look fro movies posters to see how the characters were imagined. I found two images of Bob - one with a blue tie/scarf, and one with red.  Thinking there's nothing Christmas-sy about blue, I went with the red one. Plus the red tie sort of ties in with Scrooge's red scarf.
AVvXsEisIsbzO5Raix7I7nmjTddVhi5jio7KfCAO

As usual I started off with the face. All images show him fair skinned with dark hair so here we go. Besides the red tie, I'm planning for a white shirt, green vest and a brown jacket, with hopefully some texture on it to make it look tweed. We'll see about that. But that's for next time.
AVvXsEj4YzGsmKf4E0VxmYlItWw73xf4tj62cNUD

I started out this session by painting the hair. On TV it shows up very dark. I hit it with the darkest brown I had, Then highlighted it when dry. Ugh. Too light. Then 3 coast of Citadel's Nuln Oil got it back to a decently dark color.

For the clothes, I had the colors I wanted picked out - White shirt, red tie, green vest with brass button, and black piping, and then a brown jacket. It went along well. for the vest I added a little design in a light green and ten went a little lighter for the 2n'd highlight. The jacket I decided to make a tweed jacket. A dark brown was the base coat. A lighter brown stippled with one of my ruined brushes started the tweed look. Finally, I used V's English Uniform, which is a lighter brown but with a lot of green in it was stippled on and this gave me the tweed color I was used to seeing. Only problem was that it dried a satin. I found a bottle of Anti Shine that The Army Painter put out and it dulled the jacket down quite a bit.

I'm still trying to get my clear coats straight. When I spray gloss, I want gloss. When I was matte - I want completely flat - not almost satin, not even egg shell. I want flat. Any discoveries will be reported.

A simple gray stone base was painted with a white cut out and Bob's name in red. To finish it off, A let it snow on the base. Thanks for looking.
AVvXsEiehQykVufMkvoTmnvZfDyINpIDr6aJTFdg

AVvXsEgX1wDPumZLqZK6E21wsjhDjbpoFCOpdL88

AVvXsEgzoubVvDU07FmaaR5ucHiljYcBnU4QNhFf

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work on the figure.

Very interesting and useful description of how you did the painting.

I viewed the movie recently on the local Chicago station  but that wasn't the only Christmas related appearance by the actor.

One of my favorites: The Avengers Too Many Christmas Trees also had an appearance- again Dickens themed-  by  Mervyn Johns

• 3 months later...

Lovely character model.

Based on the definitive Christmas Carol movie with Alastair Sym playing Scrooge. Very often copied but never surpassed.

• 6 months later...