1/48 Tamiya Mustang

Daniel Koss

Here's a WIP that I have going. I chose the Tamiya Mustang, 'cause after building the Czech Model FJ-1 I needed something to return me to sanity.

100_3863.jpg

It's my first use of ALCLAD, this is aluminum. I realized quickly that if you get too far away you get the orange peel effect. I spent a good hour sanding down the surface with 6000 grit paper.

This kit literally falls together. Tomorrow we decal!

Hope you like it.

BTW, the canopy is sacrificial.

Edited by Daniel Koss

OMG....Not the sacrificial canopy! What's next? The sacrificial wing, wheel, rudder? Are you mad??? Where will it end? That should have ended up in the parts bin. Now it's ruined and will never fulfill it's purpose in life.....I hope you can sleep at night!

Looks really great. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Mark

So I got the decals on...

100_3865.jpg

A found myself ina bit of a pickle.

Bonny Bea, flown by young Capt Eisenhart is shown here:

1309248650_2b94786e85.jpg

With a standard canopy, 1 kill marking (going off the positioning), and invasion stripes.

And obviously later:

dutch.jpg

No invasion stripes, two kill markings, and a Malcolm hood.

This profile (which I know is cannot be counted on for accuracy...):

5q-gpro.jpg

Shows the same as the later picture, with partial invasion stripes.

I guess my pickle is;

The Tamiya references are wrong, so do I:

a. Remove the antenna, which will have to be cut off, and install a Malcolm hood (which in turn makes my scarifical hood not so sacrificial anymore).

b. Drive on and complete it as is. Bury my head and the sand and hope no one notices?

:unsure:

I vote B! Unless it's gonna cause YOU heartache every time you look at it, don't sweat it. The markings will be judged by how well they're applied, not whether they're all precisely correct to the "date" you tried to model. Just my opinion....Looking good regardless!

GIL :smiley16:

I managed to finish it. The Malcolm hood was never designed to be displayed open apparently. This one is from an AM kit and was sanded down as far as I dare to go. Then smashed over the fuselage.

P-51B_1.jpg

P-51B_2.jpg

P-51B_3.jpg

Purdy much OOB minus the seatbelts and a piece froma paint brush for the whip antenna.

Hope you like it.

Edited by Daniel Koss

Nice work! P-51B models look so good. I just finished one myself. Hope to have a decent camera soon.

Mark (alias aAzZ09)

She's a great looking bird and you did her justice!!!

Build what you like, like what you build!