flat coat

bmill245

I've been told that flat coat takes care of small shiny glue spots and take the shine off decals (I asked about this a few threads down), and I was curious what brand you guys recommend and what techniques that I should use (I've never used this before). I'm going to a show this weekend and I wanna make sure the models look as good as possible. Thanks. Brian M.

I have always used Model Master Dullcote from the can and get excellent results. Their brush on works great for thos really small spots that you want a REALLY dull finish on.

Mark

Brian, I use Model Master Acryl Flat Clear. I use it out of a bottle with my air brush. If I have to thin it, I tend to use denatured alcohol. This is about the only acrylic paint that I use. I paint my models with enamels. I will coat the model with Future before applying decals. I seal the model again with Future and then add an oil or acrylic wash to bring out details. When I am satisfied, I will spray it with the MM Acryl Flat Clear. I like the dead flat look. If you want to work on some panels, some pigments like the Warpigs pigments can be worked into the surface to modify the tones a bit.

Having said that, we always break things off the models and have to repair them or add parts such as gear doors and ordinance after paint the model. A quick coat of Clear will eliminate the shiny of any glue dobs.

Brian: I'm going to state the obvious because you say you NEVER used a flat coat before: MASK OFF YOUR CLEAR PARTS! Dull coat will "fog" (dull down) your clear areas (canopy/windshield panes, landing light lenses, etc). Anything your want bright or glossy has to be protected from the flat coat. Delay unmasking your clear parts until the final flat coat is done. Sorry if you already knew 'bout that!

GIL :smiley16: