My completed pair of 1963 Indy Novi Roadsters in 1/43 scale (A.K.A Braille Scale)

I have not posted anything in awhile so I thought I would post some pictures  my recently completed pair of 1963 Indy Novi Roadsters in 1/43 scale.

These are white metal 1/43 scale kits from SMTS that took a little more than a month to build.

I added some detail here and there to each model. 

They were  a lot of fun to build  and I was really happy with the end result.   

PXL_20211015_041810972.thumb.jpg.683c09ac57b745b2c219cd9400fc84f9.jpg

PXL_20211017_034802687.jpg

PXL_20211022_041252367.jpg

PXL_20211020_002806022.jpg

PXL_20211022_041231994.jpg

PXL_20211022_041342369.jpg

PXL_20211102_052418552.jpg

PXL_20211103_043446432.jpg

PXL_20211104_045416231.jpg

PXL_20211104_045428185.jpg

PXL_20211104_045440279.jpg

PXL_20211104_045709099.jpg

PXL_20211104_105344356.jpg

PXL_20211104_045228037.jpg

Edited by Florida70Bee
  • Like 1

Thank you Gary! They were alot of fun to build.

I got couple more 1/43 scale vintage Indy cars I want to build in the next couple of months.

Very nice models Andy.    A real treat to see those older front engined Indy cars built into lovely replicas as they have a character all of their own.

SMTS over here in the UK has been making 1/43 rd scale kits to a high standard for many years now and Andy has done real justice to those particular kits.

Edited by noelsmith

• 2 weeks later...

Gary Davis, I have not heard of the Sellers 1/25th scale kits.

Any more info about them? Is Sellers a company still in existence? What range of kits do they make. I guess they are a cottage industry manufacturer.

Those old Indy racers in 1/24th or 1/25th scale seem to have really been neglected by mainstream manufacturers. I seem to remember Monogram making one way back in the 50's 60's era but have seen nothing since. If you are into NASCAR and Formula One modellers have been spoilt for choice over the years.

SMTS have made superb kits mainly in 1/43rd scale for many years now that Andy's superb builds are testament to.

Mark's Corgi diecasts are like comparing chalk and cheese to them as he has testified.

Edited by noelsmith

Hey Noel...yes...Lance Sellars is a Resin pourer and does a limited amount of race cars. When he puts a kit out(mainly on "OPEN WHEEL RACING" forum)...they are usually limited to around 30-50 kits. That also is limited to the Pre-orders he will receive on a particular car. He's working on a 66 Strike and a JP COLT right now. All are made in 1/25 scale also. There's another caster that does Indy car in 1/25 and it's Kevin Kuzman at Silver City Models. He does mostly Indy and F5000 cars. Both are very talented and make great models. Silver City sells on ebay Sellars does not. Both will do sell on the "Open wheel" forum. Here's the Link for that forum. Go in and look around.....

https://mb2501.proboards.com/    

• 3 months later...

Hello Gary. Not been on here for a while so thanks for your feed back and additional leads given.

I reckon if MFH did a 1/12th scale kit of one of those 1963 Novi Indianapolis Racers it would do well, particularly in the USA. Was 1963 the last Indy 500 in which front engines racers took part?

13 hours ago, noelsmith said:

Hello Gary. Not been on here for a while so thanks for your feed back and additional leads given.

I reckon if MFH did a 1/12th scale kit of one of those 1963 Novi Indianapolis Racers it would do well, particularly in the USA. Was 1963 the last Indy 500 in which front engines racers took part?

Hey Noel....I don't come here often either. LOL

OK...to answer your question on the year last front engine car ran at Indy. It was 1966. Bobby Grim drove a Watson turbocharged Offy roadster. He qualified 31st, and finished 31.

On the first lap, A Huge wreck (on the front straight) took out 11 cars and him being one of them. He didn't even do a lap in competition. That wreck took out 11 cars including AJ Foyt and Dan Gurney. The following year, they were all rear engine cars. NO Roadsters.

I had to go to my Indianapolis 500 Chronicle book to look that fact up. Hope that will answer your question Noel

Edited by GaryDavis

Gary. Thanks for coming back with that into about the last front engined roadster to run the 500.

Surprised to learn that they hung in until 1966 albeit a one car entry.

10 hours ago, noelsmith said:

Gary. Thanks for coming back with that into about the last front engined roadster to run the 500.

Surprised to learn that they hung in until 1966 albeit a one car entry.

Yea...I was too! The guy must have really wanted to run at Indy. At least he made the field....only to get taken out on the start of the race....Bummer for sure!

I have also been looking at Andy Cauldwell's build of 'Old Calhoun' where he detailed up that old AMT kit. Just shows what can be done to a 50 year old kit and get a top award at your IPMS Nationals.

Just out of curiosity can your white metal roadsters be entered in your USA Nationals? At Scale Modelworld Telford 1/43rd scale white metal models are allowed. A bit of an inheritance from when virtually al! 1/43rd scale kits used to be manufactured in white metal.

8 hours ago, noelsmith said:

I have also been looking at Andy Cauldwell's build of 'Old Calhoun' where he detailed up that old AMT kit. Just shows what can be done to a 50 year old kit and get a top award at your IPMS Nationals.

Just out of curiosity can your white metal roadsters be entered in your USA Nationals? At Scale Modelworld Telford 1/43rd scale white metal models are allowed. A bit of an inheritance from when virtually al! 1/43rd scale kits used to be manufactured in white metal.

I'm not sure  Noel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 4:56 AM, noelsmith said:

Thanks Noel for the nice comments!

As for your question yes the roadsters can be entered in the IPMS Nationals.

I have entered several 1/43 scale scale white metal kits in the various "Small Scale Automotive" classes (1/32 scale and smaller) at several IPMS USA Nationals over the years. 

I would love to bring "Old Calhoun" and several other of my small scale builds "Across The Pond" to show at Telford one year.

Scale Modelworld is a show on my "bucket list"!

Such great work and in such a small scale. Hats off to you.

Nats are comin' up next year and I plan on being there for it. Can't wait!!!