EmpireOfGhosts' Treadhead Thread (10/5 - ADGZ 1/56)

EmpireOfGhosts

Hello all. I just found out about these forums and decided to start a megathread of my work, starting with my recently completed Warlord Games 1/56 scale Churchill tank

This build is basically out of box, with the exception of the turret - I added a weld bead around the bottom edge, as well as cast texture using Tamiya putty. Deciding that I wanted to do a Lend-Lease Soviet version, I also removed the front track guards, but was unable to remove the rear guards (the Soviets did this to prevent thick mud from building up inside the upper track runs).

Like most of my Soviet tanks, I wanted to do a whitewash version but decided against using oils, instead opting for a grey primer with Tamiya flat white overspray. Unfortunately, pure white vehicles like this are difficult to photograph, so you don't see the subtle variations in tone. I then did detail painting in Vallejo acrylics and added custom "over/under" turret numbering and insignia.

I then applied an overall filter of white oil paint and did pin wash and dry-blended weathering using oils. As I wanted a heavy emphasis on muddy conditions, I did a second pin wash and heavy streaking on the lower portion of the hull, then added splatter effects with acrylics and heavy mud with Vallejo environmental effects. Oil and gas spills on the engine deck, as well as muffler rust, was done using AK enamel washes.

Unfortunately, I'm not a great photographer so a lot of this looks rather washed out in the pics below. More pics at my Scalemates account:
https://www.scalemates.com/newsfeed.php?thread=10108373

IMG_20211121_143152520_2.jpg

IMG_20211121_143312034_2.jpg

IMG_20211121_145707429_2.jpg

Edited by EmpireOfGhosts
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Forgot to keep this updated, so here's my most recent work - 

ADGZ in 1/56 scale

Unfortunately, there aren't any kits of this vehicle in 1/56 or 1/48 scale, which is a shame because it's such an interesting piece. So was a 3d print I purchased as soon as I got a 3d printer. Because this is one of the very first things I've ever printed, the quality isn't spectacular and the wheels don't mirror correctly (something that really should've been addressed by the sculptor, since this wasn't free).

I was disappointed that the preshading didn't really turn out well. It's most notable on the sides of the vehicle, where it almost looks streaky or blotchy between the doors, as the preshade was probably too bright in this area. Paints on this are primarily Tamiya, with some Vallejo and AK. Decals are random stuff from the bin. Weathering is done mostly in oils, though there's some enamel weathering here and there (especially the rust tones).

IMG_20230929_112532_2.jpg

IMG_20230929_112604_2.jpg

IMG_20230929_112623_2.jpg

• EmpireOfGhosts changed the title to EmpireOfGhosts' Treadhead Thread (10/5 - ADGZ 1/56)