Returning to model building and figurine painting after 30 yrs

TonyFNG

Greetings all from the western slopes of CO. 30 years ago I stopped building models  when I was just starting to get pretty good at it after doing it since I was 5 or 6. I won't get into the long tale as many of us have lived it (1st wife thought it was childish)

30 years later and a new and improved wife

We discovered a box in storage I have been hauling around for 30 years with models and figurines. Imagine my surprise that the kits still unbuilt survived the many moves but some of the kits I had in the process of being built bought the farm. Now they're spare parts. Oh and my paints did not make it either

My wife thought that I should take it back up again.

So I started doing some research, subscribed to FSM again (very sad 6 months instead of 12 now), started buying new paints, tools, an airbrush ( an H&S gravity feed to accompany my old badger siphon) and a compressor!! I was amazed at all the changes that have happened since 1990.

All the after market kits and tools that have improved (compressor?? last time I as using compressed air cans and I am pretty sure they were not environmentally friendly) not to mention that Floquil is not around and paints like Vallejo, Ammo-MIG etc. have taken up the mantle of making quality paints. I decided to see if there were any forums. I remember always seeing IMPS in my old Fine Scale and Military model mags and found this site. I haven't officially joined yet, but it is my game plan along with learning how to build and paint kits again. 

So thats my short version. We all have very long versions 🙂

Anyway my question to members is "Does a member of IMPS have to enter contest or can they just enjoy the comradery of other fellow modelers, get some tips to improve while contributing to a great hobby?

Stay safe and keep building

Edited by TonyFNG

• TonyFNG changed the title to Returning to model building and figurine painting after 30 yrs

Hi Tony! Welcome to the IPMS forum and back to the "active duty roster"! 

The ONLY contest where you HAVE to be a national IPMS member is the IPMS National Convention contest. All other shows (locals, invitationals, and regionals) do not require IPMS membership, though most of them DO offer a discount if you are a member!

Go the the IPMSUSA official website (just hit the "IPMSUSA home" button in the blue band at the top of the page) and look to see where the closest IPMS chapter is to you. I know CO has several well established groups. If you can make club meetings, I think you'll find a group of laid back people who enjoy modeling like yourself, and also have people who can either answer your "how to" questions or point you in the right direction.

In the meantime, make yourself at home here and don't be shy! Cheers!

Gil :cool:

I too restarted this hobby about 18 months ago after 30 years lost 😀  My models are far from competition worthy but the forums here have been incredible in answering questions and providing advice. Everyone has been very patient and forthcoming with recommendations. If you can find my F-16 thread in the “Aircraft” forum you’ll see what I mean. 

I hope I understood your question correctly and strongly recommend you use these forums as you restart building. 

Stuart

Tony, welcome back to the modeling world. Now to answer your question - no as an IPMS member you do not have to enter any contest. You can just go to any of them and enjoy being with like minded individuals. Seeing the models in any contest can inspire you to try new things. 

Have a nice day and enjoy building again.

David Von Almen, Gentleman Modeler in Paradise

Thanks all. So lets see for Figurines at the moment I have old Ral Partha's a witch, griffon, dwarf, undead horse with rider and sorcerer that are either not painted just primed or in some stage of being painted when I stopped. I have a Red Dragon my wife got me for my Birthday this year, a storm giant (sea side) and a wizard that are done (see attached)  and a lot of 1/35th scale WWII figures that are in process as I learn to paint faces. Good thing I have lots of them 🙂 

As for Compressor I am using an Iwata Silver Jet which is working great and very quiet considering I have tinnitus from years of abuse between playing in bands and working in construction as an electrician. 

On a shelf waiting to be built are 2 more 1/48 BF109's (another Hasegawa or should I call it horror-gawa lol and a Tamiya), 6 - 1/35th Tanks & tank destroyer, 3 - 1/35th Jeeps (1 US Army 2 German), and 10 Nozur's figurines that wife got me 

I like WWII era planes and Tanks. D&D Figurines.   

As for becoming a member thats the plan and good to know I definitely want to go to a show was going to see the one in Nebraska but it conflicts with other plans but after I retire next summer I'll have more time to enjoy 

Dragon-Giant-Wizard 2.jpg

Edited by TonyFNG