Looking to upgrade the 1/12th scale Airfix Bentley?

noelsmith

Up to now the only upgrade to the big Airfix Bentley was a set of Hartford Shock Absorbers from Shapeways.

The great news for big Airfix Bentley builders is that there is a guy named Nick over here in the UK who is developing 3D printed after market upgrades. He is developing wire wheel kits, engine detailing, chassis and suspension upgrades. I believe that he will be marketing the upgrade kits to suit different modeller's requirements and alternatively a full upgrade transkit that will have everything included. He has indicated that a full kit might also be in the offing as well. He is marketing under his website Unobtanium that shows what is already and will be on offer.

Nick has a presence on the Britmodeller and Scale Motorcars websites where you will be blown away by the  examples shown of his 3D CAD developments and renders as well as photos of test pieces that he has already printed up.

I am really looking forward to what he has to offer as I have donor kits of the Bentley in my stash already.I

Incidentally, Nick already has wire wheel kits available for an Alfa Romeo kit by Italeri.

Edited by noelsmith

Tom, try generating an extra email address for yourself  and try registering again on Scale Motorcars is all I can suggest.

One thing about site, if you go past the very first opening page the login will fail. Try logging in as soon as the first page shows.

Incidentally Nick has more stuff on the Britmodeller site to look at just now.

Edited by noelsmith
Word error

• 1 month later...

Tom, further to my last post the Scale Motorcars site had to close for a short period of time. They did have some real problems to sort out at source program level. It is now back up and running, and appears to be ok. I have had no problems logging in since.I

Nick has further developments on his Bentley transmits to show on the SM and Britmodeller sites.

Edited by noelsmith
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Glancing back at this older thread I noticed that I spelt the name of Nick Edward's website incorrectly.   It is Unobtainium not Unobtanium.

Things are advancing at a pace there. Look at the Britmodeller website where he is placing update information regularly.

• 7 months later...

There is also a guy named Francois Faucher up in Quebec who is also doing wonders on that big old Airfix Bentley as well as Nick Edwards at Unobtainium.

He is making a model of one of the limited edition repro Bentley Blowers that Bentley themselves are building finished in black instead of the usual green.

His work can be seen on the Model Cars Magazine Forum and on the Britmodeller Forum.  Francois refers to himself on them as 'The Guy From Quebec'.

Mind blowing what these two guys are doing to that elderly kit.