Light coat to bring camo together

MikeGilsbach

Hi All,

I have a 48 scale airplane with a 3 color camo scheme. It looks OK, but seems too stark. I need to tone the whole thing down a bit and blend the colors together a little better.

I saw an article somewhere that mentioned doing this by overspraying the whole thing with a really light coat of the lightest color..?

Anyone know how to do this? Low pressure? Thin paint?

I don't have a lot of experience with "precision" airbrushing as I tend to use mine more like a spray can. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mike

You can do that to tone things down. Just be careful, less is more and it's very easy to overdo. You are going to want to dial down the air pressure (10-12psi should do it), thin the paint to near "dirty thinner" consistency and back off to about a foot from the project. Do a quick once-over and leave it dry. Come back after a few hours and see how you like it. You can always do more if need be.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

You need to use a filter, it's much like a wash but not quite.

http://ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2003/01/..._weathering.htm

http://missing-lynx.com/rare_world/rw02.htm

There was one that showed how to tie cammo colours on airplanes but I can't find the link.

These should help though.

What I often do is to add one or two drops of the color to the Clear Flat lacquer during the final coat. It gives you tons of control and the lacquer thinner. For many aircraft I will shoot the major areas on the upper surfaces (wings, stab, upper half of the fuselage) with two drops of light grey in the clear flat lacquer and then add a drop of two of flat black and shoot around the perimeters and into the shadow areas to provide more depth to the finish. What was said above is very true. Less is more and build up in thin coats.