An Important question for 2022

Dakimbrell

Refer to Rule II.15.    The crane which extends above the turret top would cause the entry to be placed in the vignette/diorama class.  There Rule II.19  would take effect, the four crewmen would place it in the small composition/vignette category.   Note that there are no Out of the Box categories in the Vignette/Diorama class.  So no, it would not be allowed.

But if all that is in the kit and the instructions are provided it is out of the box. Time for clarification of the rules  

A similar problem exists with some Tamiya kits which provide three figures. They are part of the kit and should be judged.

Dak

That model, built as illustrated, is a diorama. It fits both portions of the diorama definition: a story is being told and there are figures not in the crew (civilian blacksmith) and extra equipment. The rules are pretty clear, IMO.

What your complaint really should ask is why there isn't an OOB category in every class. Perhaps once enough kits of this sort are issued there will be an OOB category added to Dioramas.

There is a SIMPLER answer to this.....

Although many judges already do this, subconsciously if not overtly, have the Chief Judge make "degree of difficulty" and "scope of effort" official criterias of judging!

Thus, when there's an entry like the above, BUT it is OOTB as noted by the builder, it can be properly judged against the other entries its pitted against with no need for any separate category.

Being OOTB may or may not work for or against the builder, depending on how well the work is done on this entry and the others; but allowing for considering how much extra a builder did or didn't do by comparison, instead of relying strictly on flaw counting, solves the problem!

Gil :cool:

I only threw this out because---based on the number of questions I got this year at the show---there will surely be people wanting to enter it in OOB classes in the coming years. A VERY large number don't read the rules in any form.

As noted in other discussions, I personally dislike OOB in most of its current forms and think it should be reduced or even done away with in future contests. No need to defend it, we've all heard it before. I'm just restating an opinion.

Dak

1 hour ago, Dakimbrell said:

...A VERY large number don't read the rules in any form. ...

One could make an argument for that.  One could make a better argument if one dropped the adverb "VERY".  One could make an excellent argument if one replaced "...in any form..." with " ... hardly at all...".

• Like 1

IMO, OOB is the perennial headache of IPMS judges. Every year we start seeing the "how much extra can I do and still be OOB" type questions.

The proper answer should be "nothing" but we have a society filled with those that have to push the rules to gain some sort of "advantage" in the contest room. That's why we have the new base rule for armor (4 or 5 years old), that's why we can't use 3D decals now, etc. I'd say kill OOB and end the issue if it were up to me and I love to build a true OOB! (Only changing the decals to get a subject I prefer over the kit subject)

Agree.  OOB and GSB have been the bone that the IPMS dog has worried for years now.  Looks like GSB is nowhere on the horizon, but the OOB issue is constant, fueled by manufacturers who, over the years, put more and more in the box.

Remember when IPMS had an "Ancient Kit" category? IIRC, it was defined as any kit from a mold 25+ years old before it was dropped (lack of participation)  in the mid 90s?

Doing this type of category with the OOB rules could be fun once in a while. The lack of resin and etch for kits pre1975 would encourage it.