Jump to content

ICM 1/32nd scale AH-1G Cobra


Bradley25mm
 Share

Recommended Posts

All,

      I’ve started on the construction of the above. I’m trying to find some accurate reference material. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Hopefully there might be a few Cobra drivers on this feed that can help. Much appreciated.

Chris

D19A1A5A-F068-48F7-8E89-80DBED35C75D.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Squadron Walkaround book on the Cobra is a good starting point for photo reference. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

THAT came out super sharp! The Cobra's really nice and the diorama setting is quite the icing on the cake! Congrats, and thanks for sharing!

 

GIL :cool:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

          Thanks Gil. The overall construction was straight forward. The fit of all the parts was amazing. Especially the canopy. A couple of areas I improved on: The cockpit. I got the photo sets from Eduard. Instrument panels, and seat belts. I had to rebuild the collective handle supplied with the kit for the back seat. It was void of detail. In photos I referenced, it looks exactly like a UH-1 collective.  I used Athletic tape to simulate fabric on the seat cushions. (The same type I used on the 1/32nd scale H.A.S Lynx).
                  The Transmission: The Eduard set for the cockpit also included parts to dress up the transmission. I added solder for lines, and scrap parts to add more detail.

              The main rotor: I love the way that ICM designed the construction. The blade grips are not molded on the rotor blades. This makes painting ALOT easier. One thing that sticks out on the rotor blades are the blade tie down points on the end of each blade. A really nice touch, for sure. Once built, you need to be careful handling it. The rotor mast is to scale, but quite flimsy. If I had to do it over, I would have either replaced it with brass rod, or slid brass rod over the existing shaft.

                 The tail rotor: I cut off the shaft that that was molded on. I added a longer, and smaller shaft. The tail rotor itself is the most accurate representation of the real thing that I’ve seen in a model kit. From the blade grips, to the control linkages. Kudos to their design team.

               The barrier retaining walls were made from Evergreen plastic sheet, and u beams. The Marston matting is from Tom’s Model works.  I had to scratch build a blade tie down hook system.  The real one has a bean bag on one end of a large red heavy duty strap. You toss the bean bag over the main rotor to help you pull it down to put the hook in the blade tie down point.  You then wrap this strap around the tail boom to keep the main rotor from flapping all over the place.

            The extra rocket, and mini gun pods: I scratch built the yellow racks they sit in. Overall, a really fun build. I can’t wait until ICM starts to release their other helos. (1/35th scale CH-54😁😁).


                 

            

           

                       

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...