Trying to get a friend into the hobby.

VodkaWodka

Howdy all! Recently I have been trying to get one of my friends in to model building after he expressed interest in owning some World War 2 plane models. To be honest I am not really sure how to start him off and I am thinking about recommending him one of those Airfix starter kits from Amazon (we don't have a hobby shop nearby). Do any of you have any good suggestions for starting kits and supplies that are budget friendly?

I don’t doubt that the Airfix kits would be a fine way to introduce a new builder to the hobby. But I think the bigger thing will be your coaching regarding expectations. No matter what kit he starts out on, it will almost certainly not be a masterpiece. There is the learning curve, and no matter what tools we have, what kits we choose, and however many hours of instructional how to videos may be watched, mistakes are going to be made. And that is where we learn how to do it better next time. It is both the journey and the destination that provide the enjoyment in this hobby, not one or the other.

Except for the hobby shop. I always love the destination, but the journey there is rarely enjoyable. 😉

• 1 month later...

Depending on your friend’s abilities, the first time results can be quite good.

I have a friend who also wanted to try WW 2 aircraft.  He picked out a Tamiya 1/72 Bf-109E, not the easiest to paint.  But we walked him through it, explaining the hows and whys, as well as interjecting historical factoids about the 109.  He was able to apply the inkspots using thinned paint and a sponge applicator. Yes he had a couple of missteps and mishaps.  But considering he had never built and painted an airplane model, it turned out rather nice!

But yeah, if you have the support of others who can provide good guidance, it makes all the difference.

• 3 weeks later...