Removing seam lines in DS track with...thinner?

DennisTennant

I read that tidbit in the instructions for my new Firefly kit. It says you can remove the seam lines on their DS track with a swipe of thinner across the tracks. Now, not wanting to ruin the only set of tracks I have for this 1/72 kit, has anyone here tried using thinner to remove the seam on anything made from Dragon's DS plastic? Did it really work?

I read that tidbit in the instructions for my new Firefly kit. It says you can remove the seam lines on their DS track with a swipe of thinner across the tracks. Now, not wanting to ruin the only set of tracks I have for this 1/72 kit, has anyone here tried using thinner to remove the seam on anything made from Dragon's DS plastic? Did it really work?

I wonder if the technique is similar to using liquid cement to eliminate fine mold marks. I have yet to play with one of DML's kits with DS tracks, but I might be prompted to do so shortly and find out if it works. What type of thinner do they say to use?

R

Gil,

It is a styrene plastic that can be glued together with any glue. The other plus is that is actually absorbs paint as opposed to having it sit on top of the tracks and flake off when it is bent.

Mark

DS Track is great - I wish Dragon would sell more of their DS Track sets separately. And yes - thinner will 'dissolve' the seam lines - I use Ambroid Pro Weld and it works wonders. Just make sure you use it in small amounts as opposed to one liberal stroke of thinner. For 1/72 DS track, you'll probably ant to use a smaller brush (I usually put my Pro Weld in an empty Tamiya Thin Cement bottle I kept - smaller bottle, smaller brush).

I wonder if the technique is similar to using liquid cement to eliminate fine mold marks. I have yet to play with one of DML's kits with DS tracks, but I might be prompted to do so shortly and find out if it works. What type of thinner do they say to use?

R

That's my problem, they didn't say what kind of thinner! I don't want to experiment on the only set of tracks I have. Dragon doesn't sell the tracks separately...grr.

Tamiya Thin Liquid Cement also works very well to dissolve the casting "ridges" on DS track and figures.

Indeed, it works like a charm. I have even had success using it to remove pesky fine dust from rescribed panel lines. Disintegrates into thin air.