Russian Tu-142MR Gray Maritime Color Scheme Questions

JoeRivers

Russian Tu-142MR Gray Maritime Color Scheme Questions

I am building the Trumpeter 1/72 Tu-142MR Bear and I want to paint it in the Gray Maritime colors. Does anyone have suggestions as to the grays that Russia uses?

·         Topside and overall gray?

·         2 different trim grays on the vertical stabilizer?

·         White or light gray on the engine nacelles?

·         Radome whites or grays?

·         Wheel well colors. Recent pictures show a light pea green color?

I’m looking forward to moving on with this project. I first started it 13 years ago and the build ended up in the box and put back in the stash. Seeing the newer gray scheme has relight interest in the Bear and I am going to finish the project. There is not much out there on building this one and nothing on painting it other than a lit of Russian airshow pictures. They are great, but don’t answer all the questions that I have.

Thanks in advance for any information that folks might have. I will post pictures of the project when it is completed.

Joe Rivers

Based on the pic below, if you can't find any dedicated Russian model paints, I'd try looking at: Boeing Gray, ADC Gray, or Lt. Ghost Gray model paints to see which one you think best matches what you're looking for. As for the radome and bottom sides, I'd go with Tamiya Fine White Primer, which is just enough off white to match well. As for any other gray trim, like the strip on the fin's leading edge, I'd try Gunship Gray. Those are my suggestions for starting points lacking any "real" modern Russian Maritime colors. Hope this helps!

day03_052.jpg.140466a112bad31a5216cb8fce3b860b.jpg

Gil :cool:

Gil,

Thank you. I was kind of guessing in those directions, but it is a hard subject to verify or at least have some back up on ideas. I think colors along these lines will definitely work for a self sitter parked with other classic Cold War heavies.

Joe this is good information. I was also planning to use the colors mentioned by Gil when I do mine. I did manage to get an interior Russian color when I acquired a collection of Testor's Model Master enamels from a modeler who had passed away. I'm saving that for my two Bears too.

I'm looking forward to seeing yours done.