Long Term Membership Recognition

Highlander

I recall that, some time ago, an announcement was made that IPMS members who had continuous membership for some number of years (20?) would be recognized by being given a pin or a plaque or a tattoo or an autographed picture of Darth Vader or some such.

And, if I have recalled this correctly, how many of these recognition items have been awarded?

Can someone with the correct information send me to a link or provide the information here?  Thank you.

I've got 44yrs continuous membership, and there's plenty with 10+ more than myself.....not aware of anyone getting recognized for staying a member continuously, and I've received nothing.

That said, while a listing in the Journal would be nice, I'm not sure that the volunteers in office, nor the one person who runs the business office and handles most all membership work, is up to trying to track down everyone like us in addition to more important things. I don't feel any need to be recognized, and I also don't want IPMS to discount those many people who have been long time members with some minor interruptions to their membership time, which is probably more of the "norm" (like that gap in model building when you go to college/get married/have kids., etc.).

IPMS HAS awarded Lifetime memberships to people, but it's always been based on service to the society over time, NOT on length of membership. Also, national judges are awarded pins for their years of service as judges after being recorded as having judged 10 times, 20 times, and more. I, for one, like the idea of IPMS recognizing service to the society over simply paying your dues every year.

Gil :cool:

There was a 25 year membership pin given back in the Ron Bell era (so 3 years ago or so)

Not sure what happened to that program. Suspect the leadership changed (and its changing again in several months ) so......

Dave 

I'm not sure what an equitable solution would be to the question of awards/recognition.  As some of you know, I've been involved in the IPMS/USA since before it actually existed (I was in the TAHS with Jim Sage when he started kicking around the idea of a US branch of the IPMS).  I've never participated to the extent I wanted to due to lack of funds.  That situation also led to a gap in membership.  My only real claim to fame...such as it is...is that I managed to hang on to my original IPMS/USA number...#2.

If some kind of recognition/award was to be made, it probably should be limited to those of us who were the original...or charter...members of the IPMS/USA.  Why?  Because an argument could be made that if it wasn't for us...the old guard...the IPMS/USA would probably have never come into existence.  At least not in its present form.  However, that leads to the next question: Where's the cutoff point?  20? 25? 50? 100?  And then there's also the fact that not many of the Old Guard are still around...or at least not current members.

BUT the bottom line is one overriding question...does it really matter?  That's a question for each one of us to answer.  Me?  It's enough for me to know that y'all know that I was privileged to be one of the founders of the IPMS/USA...no matter how small a part I played.  HOWEVER...if our leadership ever decides to hand out a pin, placard, certificate or whatever in recognition of the founding members, I hope I get one.  Preferably while I'm still breathing!

• Like 1

I joined my local chapter (IPMS_denver) now the Rob Wolf chapter in 1968 and joined national in 1970 (IPMS/USA 3687) and attended

my first national convention in Wichita, Ks. that same year. Jere Vliet was president at that time and I have been a continuous member

since that time. I was club secretary for eight years and newsletter editor for another eight (when we did it on a memeograph machine!

I am currently the chapter contact and have been since the post was instituted.

I served as national membership secretary from '85-'87 but never received a 25 year pin. I did receive a 10 year national judges pin quiet a while ago.

I also served as national head automotive judge for several years and on the 2013 national convention committee

Some of my contemporaries have received 50 year pins (in 2019) and I was looking forward to receiving one in 2020. Obviously that did

not come to pass.  I certainly think I'm deserving of some little recognition for my longevity in supporting and serving the organization for 

such a long continuous time without any break in membership. And I'm still around !

Cliff T. Davis

Edited by Carrera
added info
  • Like 1

Hello Cliff.  I think all of us who have been around as long as you and I have, can legitimately claim that our ox has been gored.  It matters more to some than it does others, but what's truly important is that we have helped...in whatever way...the IPMS/USA to not only survive but to prosper.  Had it not been for the IPMS/USA...as well as all the other National groups, and definitely giving proper credit to the Brits who started the whole thing, we would not have the incredible plastic model kit and aftermarket hobby/industry that we have today.  That is something that all of us can be immensely proud of, regardless of which individual gets recognition...or doesn't.  BTW, I also remember the joys of cutting mimeograph stencils and hoping to God you didn't make too many mistakes that you had to spend time correcting!

• Like 1

I’ve been a member, though not continuous, since 1967. I had to drop out for a while in the early ‘90s due to pressures from graduate school, but have managed to retain my original membership number.

The only fame I can claim is being one of those who spent a night on Jim Sage’s sofa and awakened in the morning to find a purring cat on my chest!

I was just looking for a simple answer.  Which seems, as I read these, that there is or was a program, about three years ago, to recognize members with 25 years of continuous membership.  Current status is unknown.