Currently-Planned Judging Procedures at Las Vegas

As Ed Grune noted in his posting on July 28th, under the topic labelled Masks for judges at the Nats?? within the Forum named 2021 IPMS/USA National Convention, he stated “The NCC in a Zoom meeting addressed our plans on how we will perform our judging duties this year.”  We held that NCC Zoom meeting Sunday afternoon, July 25th.  The day after, I sent some emails to Convention Chairman Bob Lomassaro, to follow-up on some issues raised by the NCC members.  And on the next day (last Tuesday), while I was preparing notes to post on our website here, announcements of new policies started coming from various Nevada officials and agencies, rendering moot some of the items we had discussed at our Sunday meeting.

The most comprehensive review of the new masking requirements I’ve found to-date are in the following article from The Nevada Independent News, July 27th, as reported by their Megan Messerly.  The underlined items below are my own way to emphasize points that may be applicable to our judging task and teams:

Vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals in the vast majority of Nevada counties will be required to wear masks indoors in public places starting Friday (July 30th), state officials announced Tuesday.

The new state mask mandate follows a Tuesday recommendation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that fully vaccinated people should wear masks in indoor public settings when they are in areas of substantial or high transmission, which currently includes 12 of the state’s 17 counties (including Clark County).  Though the new Federal policy is only a recommendation, an emergency directive issued by (Nevada) Gov Steve Sisolak in May automatically makes any guidance offered by the CDC binding in the state of Nevada.

A new emergency directive issued by Gov Sisolak on Tuesday reiterates phrasing from the May directive — clarifying that all individuals “shall be required to cover their nose and mouth with a face covering in a manner consistent with the guidance issued by the CDC, and any subsequent guidance issued by the CDC” — while also giving counties a three-day grace period (to this past Friday) to implement the new policy. . .
. . . The
(Nevada) Gaming Control Board, in a Notice to Licensees on (last) Tuesday, noted that the new mask mandate will be binding on gaming licensees in the flagged counties — including those on the Las Vegas Strip.  In other words, gaming establishments in those counties will be required to ensure that employees, patrons and guests are wearing masks pursuant to the state’s emergency directives.

Nevada officials said this past Thursday the recent mask mandate will be in place for at least two weeks – so at least until Friday, Aug-13th.  Nevada officials will evaluate the transmission rates every Tuesday; Clark County Commissioners will review this topic again on Aug-17th – the day before the start of our convention!  So while conditions and restrictions might change, we won’t know until we’re actually at the convention.  For a county to relax the mandate, it would have to reduce transmission rates to Low or Moderate in the CDC guidelines for two consecutive weeks, officials said.  Only five other Nevada counties are currently in the low and moderate stages in community spread of the virus.  Want to bet now on the over/under odds for Clark County to reduce their transmission rates by Aug-13th?  By Aug-20th?

So now it looks much more likely that we will be required to wear masks as we do our Friday-night judging.  We (NCC members) plan to meet with Convention Chairman Bob Lomassaro Wednesday evening to get a briefing on what he will have been told our masking requirements may be.  I expect word will get around to the convention attendees Wednesday-through-Friday, and I will brief the gathered judges at our Friday-evening session before we start the actual judging.

Plan for us to be required by duly-authorized, -elected and -appointed State and County officials, to wear masks as we do our Friday-night judging.  If you will object to that, then do not plan to help with the judging this year; we’ll look forward to your help again next year or a following year.  We will still have a task that needs to be completed, so please don’t use the likely masking requirements as your own opportunity to mount a self-serving soapbox and decry “government oppression”; you’re not required to help us judge, and so you can go to your room or some other semi-private area and not have to wear a mask that Friday night.

If all judges need to wear masks, the procedures the NCC discussed at our recent session are to have the 3-person teams keep sufficient ‘social-distance’ between themselves and other judging teams.  This will likely require some teams to move over to the other side of a row of tables, or to move further down the row to judge another category that isn’t so close to a category that’s currently being judged.  We expect it will take longer to judge all the categories in each Class, due to having to maintain ‘social-distancing’.

When a team has completed judging a category and filled-out its Judges’ Worksheet, they will return it only to their Class head judge or his designated assistant.  Only the Class head judges will take completed Worksheets to Eileen’s team of data recorders, to reduce their risks to virus exposure.

It will be more important this year than in prior years, that all judges attend our Friday-night Judges' Briefing before we actually start judging all the categories.  We'll cover our procedures in detail at that time.  The convention's Seminars schedule currently shows our Friday-night meeting starting at 4pm (16:00), but it will start later than that.  The Model Room will be open until 5pm, and the Class head judges want to stay in that room as long as possible before our briefing, to make sure late entries get into the correct categories -- particularly if they may need to be moved to different tables or to a different Class.  So while our meeting room is available starting at 4pm, our briefing will most likely not start until at least 5pm.

I'll update this posting if new information becomes available

Mark Persichetti

IPMS #14324

• Like 1

IF conditions are changed by  Clark County the day before the convention starts  to a more restrictive status,  I would hope that there would be a grace period before firm implementation of the rules that would at least get us through the convention. I am fearful about the IPMS being thrown a curve ball just as the convention starts...

5 hours ago, Chris Bucholtz said:

Already ordered some airplane-themed masks for the event. 🙂

I bet you'd do well if you sold them at your table!!

Thank You Mark for the Timely Update. See you at the Judges Meeting

Cheers

Bill

I really, really hate wearing masks.  HST, I will be wearing one during the entire Nats.  Except in my room.  Unless things change.  And I will have masks available for my judging class.

A great group I was once a member of had a saying, "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome."

See you in Vegas.

Edited by Highlander

On 8/2/2021 at 10:16 PM, MarkPersichetti said:

It will be more important this year than in prior years, that all judges attend our Friday-night Judges' Briefing before we actually start judging all the categories.  We'll cover our procedures in detail at that time.  The convention's Seminars schedule currently shows our Friday-night meeting starting at 4pm (16:00), but it will start later than that.  The Model Room will be open until 5pm, and the Class head judges want to stay in that room as long as possible before our briefing, to make sure late entries get into the correct categories -- particularly if they may need to be moved to different tables or to a different Class.  So while our meeting room is available starting at 4pm, our briefing will most likely not start until at least 5pm.

Let me suggest that the judges use this time to get something to eat.   Originally the NCC had been briefed that snacks would be available.   Not too sure that it will happen.   Be prepared in the event that it doesn't.   It promises to be a late night.

Masks work for me. I've been vaccinated, but had planned to wear mine in Vegas anyway.

A late night in Las Vegas....been there done that!

Dak

Wearing a mask is just a minor inconvenience to you guys in the grand scheme of things.

Nobody likes wearing them I know.

One of the things on my to do list is to fly over and attend one of your nationals. Unfortunately a no no this year with all the flight disruption and a UK government constantly changing the goalposts with regard to quarantine upon return and what countries it deems safe.

Maybe things will be back to normal next year?          Let's see!

• Like 1

I like wearing masks! They keep my face warm in the winter. Also, people can’t see me sneering at them.

Sometimes, I like to pretend I’m someone nefarious …..like a bank robber……or surgeon! 

Nick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When wearing a mask, make sure to keep it over BOTH nose AND mouth. The germies can enter/leave by both routes.

It really pisses me off to see people in public wearing a mask over just their mouths. Sorta reminds me of certain “yoots” who let their pants hang low so as to show off their underwear.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nick Filippone said:

Sometimes, I like to pretend I’m someone nefarious …..like a bank robber……or surgeon! 

Who’d have thought that the day would come when folks at a bank would get mad at you for coming inside and not wearing a mask… 

Some days I’m tempted to put on my old shemagh that I wore overseas years ago in full face wrap mode while out in public , but then that would likely put people into full panic mode…

image.thumb.jpeg.801b88dcfbf77bc80da2cbeb4f282e52.jpeg

Edited by Stikpusher
  • Like 1

Nah, you'd probably be hoisted on shoulders as a freedom fighter for oppressed peoples.

Once, long ago, in Lebanon, while being driven in a leased car, we rounded a corner and spotted a roadblock about 150 meters down the road ... manned by folks looking much like you in your photo.  We reversed and went elsewhere.

• Haha 1