Classic Revell 1/32 P-38J Rescue Kit

thevid

This kit was going into the dumpster and the hobby shop owner asked if I wanted it. It had been started with tube glue. The cockpit and nose guns were firmly glued in place. Yet I took this and another 1/32 kit home. Having never built one before I was looking forward to seeing what I could do with it. Lots of filler was used and in the case of the nose gap I used a plastic card shim. With all sanding most of the raised detail was lost. So I re-scribed the kit and it was not that hard at all.

I knew I could not get a good natural metal finish with all the scratches on the plastic. So on went the OD and NG. The stripes were easy to do since the width in 1/32 was very close to a roll of Tamiya tape.

Painting the wings was easy, but the booms took a bit longer. The biggest problem was getting the stripes aligned. Decals were hard to find for this scale and I settled on a print scale set from one of favorite eBay dealers. The decals were very thin and folded over easily and I lost a couple.

I found a photo of the actual aircraft and I noticed the nose cap is a different tone in black and white photos. I could not get a definitive answer if they painted or just natural metal. The decals did not have the inboard letters on the rudder assembly so I cut out a mask and painted it on. It is out of box, or rather out of the dumpster.

Models Outdoors Nikon D300 015cc4x6.jpg

Models Outdoors Nikon D300 013cc4x6.jpg

Models Outdoors Nikon D300 009cc4x6.jpg

Models Outdoors Nikon D300 007cc4x6.jpg

Models Outdoors Nikon D300 005cc.jpg

Models Outdoors Nikon D300 002cc4x6.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

That is fantastic that you were able to resurrect this kit so well and save it from the dumpster. You did magnificent! Way to go!

Thank you very much Mark.  I really appreciate you comment.

9 hours ago, ghodges said:

Great save of a great classic! I like the way the stripes add some zing to the plain OD/gray scheme. Thanks for sharing!

Gil :cool:

HI Gil,  Thanks.  I agree a standard OD-NG is kinda bland for us older modelers.  I'm glad I found the decals.  

Beautiful build there David! The old Revell 1/32 P-38, however lacking, is an old favorite of mine. And you have shown how much of a beauty it can be built up into. Especially with all the color you have added to this one! Bravo!

Nice work David! Lt. Co. Harold Rau, CO, of the 20th Fighter Group, 8th Air Force, WW2, would be proud!

Mark