Melted Plastic

I have spoken to a few people that have raised concerns about the heat effecting our prized possessions. Is this really an issue? Was there any problems with the nationals in Arizona?

Heat should be under 105F

I don't plan on leaving my models in the car for longer than 15 minutes. Duration being a possible thing.

Also, if it is an issue then how are all of the vendors transporting what they are selling?

In the desert, the peak high temp is usually not until the mid afternoon, say, 2pm to 6pm. But the inside of your vehicle will be much hotter, and it will heat up quickly as soon as the AC is turned off. Potentially 120*+ in 10 minutes or so, if your car is in direct sunlight, and the windows are all up. In a parking structure, out of direct sunlight, the car interior will just warm up to what the ambient air temperature is at a slower rate.

I do believe that as long as you keep your models packed away and out of direct sunlight, they should be fine. If they're in the interior of your car with you, they'll only be experiencing the same temps you are; so no problems there. If they're in the trunk, as long as the car is moving it shouldn't overheat. I'd avoid leaving them in a parked vehicle for more than 30mins under any circumstances, and never have them sitting in direct sunlight.

I've attended 2 "hot" conventions (Phoenix)....While the heat is a concern, much of it's greatly overblown, and I've yet to hear of anyone who actually had a problem getting their models to the hotel and then to the contest room due to the heat.

Gil :cool:

• Like 1

I lived in Phoenix for more than a decade and stored my unbuilt kits in a locked portion of my carport with no issues. The only time I have had a kit melt is when I left the box on top of our toaster oven. Not good. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Shade is your friend Cameron.  Either under cover in the car or simply park  the car in the shade.  There is a bus stop style entrance on the east side of the convention center where you can [part and quickly bring your entries into the convention center and then go park your car on any level but the top of the parking garage.

Joe

• Like 1