1/350 Trumpeter USS Hornet CV-8 Doolittle Raid

Wolfman63

Week 19 – Work was slowed a little this week as I had the laptop I use for making decals started to die and needed to be replaced. I spent a couple of evenings changing over to a new laptop. Turning back to working on the project I added some more details to the island. There are smaller search lights around the island which have been included with the photo etch set. One of the kit search lights on the aft side of the island mounts to the deck. However after review of the photos it is actually mounted on a raised platform. I scratch built the platform and mounted the search light. I also used the photo etch SK antenna rather than the plain looking kit version.

Next I started on the masts. I started by removing the molded ladders and added photo etch details. The aft mast spars were detailed and set aside. The main mast needed a lot more work. Comparing the kit mast and the photo etch parts there were still a lot of details missing. To start with I added the hatch and ladder to go between the two platforms. Next was the top platform in the photos has a small extension on the forward side as well as mounts for rigging. I was able to locate some photo etch pieces in my spares bin to replicate these. Next were two large spot lights. The photo etch set had the face covers. I used a sprue tree the same diameter and then some spare photo etch parts to make the mounts for them. I then started painting the island and main mast.

Speaking of paint, after some research I found out the paint scheme is three colors not two as the kit instructions show. The island is haze grey with ocean grey camouflage. Below the flight deck the hull is ocean grey and navy blue camo. I chose to use the Scale Colors paint for this scheme. I am using SC004 5-H Haze Grey, SC003 5-O Ocean Grey, and SC002 5-N Navy Blue. This is the first time I am using this brand of paint.

I need to finish some details on the aft mast then finish assembling the island to start the tedious task of doing all the rigging.

See more photos and details from the start in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-350-uss-hornet-cv-8-doolittle-raid/

dscn6151.jpg

dscn6154.jpg

dscn6159.jpg

dscn6162.jpg

dscn6165.jpg

dscn6166.jpg

• Like 1

Here we are at the 20th Week of the USS Hornet “Doolittle Raid” project! I am still working on island details. As I was researching all the rigging I found more details that I needed to add to the island. I found out that there are three whip antennas on the island. Two of them are on the funnel cap with rails and one on the aft end of the island. I scratch built these using photo etch and styrene rod for the base. I began attaching the first layer of rigging for the forward mast. I am using EZ-Line black fine for the rigging. With the lines attached on the one end I let the CA glue cure for a while before starting to attach the other end.

While the rigging was curing I started looking at the quad 1.1” anti-aircraft guns that sit on the flight deck. I assembled the kit version just to see how they look. They are very plain looking and seem too small for the scale. I then built up the photo etch version. They looked better but being photo etch they seemed too thin. I then decided to use a mix of the kit parts, Photo etch parts, and Aber 1/350 1.1” brass barrels for them. Using the “body” of the guns from the kit I installed the brass barrels and then installed the photo etch mount, seats, gun sights, and ammunition feed boxes. 

I moved back to the rigging and started with the aft mast. One of the things I needed to add was the mount for the flag.  I used some more photo etch scraps to make the mount. I am continuing with the rigging. It looks like there are going to be three sections, the forward main mast, the aft mast, and then the rigging that goes between the masts. All told there are roughly 20 individual lines that need to be added and routed. Once the rigging is finished I will do some touch up with the base color then add the camouflage color and finally the crew that will be placed on the island.

See more photos and details from the start in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-350-uss-hornet-cv-8-doolittle-raid/

dscn6169.jpg

dscn6170.jpg

dscn6178.jpg

dscn6184.jpg

dscn6185.jpg

dscn6186.jpg

dscn6194.jpg

dscn6197.jpg

Here we are at week 21 of the USS Hornet “Doolittle Raid” project. This week I was able to complete the island. All 34 lines of the rigging have been mounted. Once the rigging was completed I then painted the camouflage on the island using the photo references in the Hornet book. The pattern that the kit shows and what were actually on the ship differs slightly. The lines have a slight shift when they reach the catwalk half way up the island on the actual ship. I then finished the 4 quad AA guns used on the flight deck. I was looking over the flight deck assembly and decided to detail the hull next. This is being done as the catwalks that go around the hull for the flight deck need to be installed and painted before placing the flight deck on. Since all the catwalks are photo etch I filled all the mounting holes for the kit catwalks with putty. I then started at the stern I added the edge railing and worked on the second deck. This has three hose reels on it. The kit has cutouts for the kit reels. I filled these in with putty and then assembled the photo etch versions of the reels. I used black 6lbs test braided fishing line for the hoses. I used three layers of line on each reel. Need to research the rails and stairs on the stern then onto the catwalks.

See all the photos and details from the start in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-350-uss-hornet-cv-8-doolittle-raid/

dscn6203.jpg

dscn6207.jpg

dscn6208.jpg

dscn6212.jpg

dscn6219.jpg

dscn6222.jpg

dscn6225.jpg

dscn6233.jpg

dscn6234.jpg

dscn6237.jpg

dscn6239.jpg

dscn6242.jpg

Week 22 – Starting at the stern I added more details. I added some crew members, the fantail launch, and the mooring rope winch on the starboard side. I used some 50lbs test braided fishing line for the mooring rope and coiled it around the winch spool. The kit does not provide an actual spot to hold the launch so I scratch built the cradle that holds the launch. I then started making the eight 5” dual-purpose guns. The kit gun mounts had a couple of issues. First the kit parts lacked detail and the gun barrels were more like 10” barrels. I cut off the barrels and replaced them with Aber brass barrels. I then added the photo etch details to provide a more accurate look.

Moving on I am now working on the catwalks. Since I am doing an “At Sea” display I used the full hull lower section as a placement guide. With the photo etch catwalk set from White Ensign there are sections that are replaced. The kit shields that go around the .50 caliber guns are too short and thick. These are cut off and replaced with photo etch versions. I started on the aft starboard side. I am working may way along the starboard side first. For the midship catwalk I added some empty reels that sit just under the catwalk. There are also small platforms that require railings added as well. Once the catwalks are done I will detail the bow and then begin detailing the underside of the flight deck.

See all the photos and details from the start in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-350-uss-hornet-cv-8-doolittle-raid/

dscn6243.jpg

dscn6244.jpg

dscn6250.jpg

dscn6252.jpg

dscn6256.jpg

dscn6257.jpg

dscn6258.jpg

dscn6265.jpg

dscn6268.jpg

dscn6277.jpg

dscn6279.jpg

• Like 1

Week 23 has arrived – Continuing with the hull catwalks and railings. The catwalks are a mix of kit and photo etch. The kit sections are where the guns mount. As I mentioned before I removed the kit shields and added the photo etch versions. While on the subject of the guns, I looked over the .50 cal guns. The photo etch version has the thin base. So like all the other guns I went with a mix of kit and photo etch. I used the base of the kit and added just the gun to the base. The photo etch guns also have a few pieces. The shield and the shoulder mounts are separate parts.  Once the sights are positioned I added the shield and mounts, the base was then notched to mount the gun.

I then moved on to the catwalks. Another difference from the kit to the photo etch is the catwalks have different levels when they go under the edge of the flight deck. Once I finished the catwalks on the starboard side I added the railings to the smaller levels and the safety rails for the open hangar doors. One thing to note, on the port side I did the railings first. With as delicate as the photo etch catwalks are, I have had to go back and repair some areas. I kept accisently bumping them or touching them incorrectly while working on the lower rails. When I went toe the port side I did the railing first and this works out much better. I need to add the railing to the catwalks then onto building all the .50 cals (20 just at the catwalk level) and then get the base coat of Ocean Gray on the hull. I am estimating the ship to be completed in about 6 more weeks then I need to start working on the “at sea” base and order the display case once I figure out the size I will need.

dscn6282.jpg

dscn6284.jpg

dscn6285.jpg

dscn6291.jpg

dscn6296.jpg

dscn6303.jpg

dscn6305.jpg

dscn6311.jpg

dscn6313.jpg

Here we are at week 24 – This week I have all the catwalks installed and all the railings installed. Before I get into the details of the hull I need to make a correction from last week. The AA guns are not .50 cal. The reference book, as well as some online sources, states they used .50 cal for AA on the Hornet. As it turns out the US Navy found the .50 cal was not very effective. So in February before the Hornet sailed out of the shipyard they removed the .50 cal AA guns and replaced them with Oerlikon 20 mm cannons. The photo etch gun I previously built was the ones that came with the detail set and they are the 20mm.

Getting back to the build, while installing the railing on the bow I noticed there is a flag pole on the bow where the Union Jack flag is typically flown. Using some photo etch scraps I made the flag pole. Next I then painted the hull with the Ocean Gray base coat of paint. I then started detailing the bow. In the reference photos they had coils of mooring lines on the bow. I wanted to replicate these. I tried a few different things like regular string and wire. Neither of these looked like coils of rope. I then found a spool of 50lbs braided fishing line that I previously used as aircraft tie down rope for the 1/48 B-25B “Ruptured Duck” Doolittle raider aircraft I built previously. So I tried to coil it up but it was difficult keeping the coil. I then came up with a jig and made the mooring rope coils.

You can see the detailed process I used in my Tips and Tricks section at: https://davidsscalemodels.com/tips-and-tricks/how-to-make-mooring-ropes/

With the mooring ropes installed I then added the anchor chains. There are two launches on each side of the ship. These are the boats used as life boats and captains launch. The kit has the basics for each one but the photo etch set has details like rudders, rails, flooring, and life preservers. Once the boats were painted I looked at the placement. The kit does not provide the cradle used to store the boats on deck. I took some square stock styrene and scratch built the cradles. I then cleaned up the boat cranes on each side and installed them. I am working on the other twenty three 20mm AA guns and then need to add crew members to the bow.

dscn6315.jpg

dscn6316.jpg

dscn6322.jpg

dscn6340.jpg

dscn6349.jpg

dscn6350.jpg

The 25th week covers assembling and installing all the anti-aircraft and 5” guns. The Oerlikon 20 mm cannons took some time to assemble. There are only 4 photo etch parts as well as the kit part modified for the mount. Assembling all 28 of them took three evenings but they are all built, painted and mounted. I then painted the 5” guns and mounted them.

I then added the few remaining ladders for the catwalks. For the one ladder that goes up to the catwalk on the port side I added one of the 3-D printed crew members that are positioned walking up a ladder. Right now I am painting many of the crew that will be positioned around the hull and bow. Once the crew has been placed the hull will be complete and the flight deck assembly can be detailed and installed.

dscn6357.jpg

dscn6359.jpg

dscn6363.jpg

dscn6364.jpg

dscn6368.jpg

dscn6371.jpg

dscn6375.jpg

• Like 1

Week 26 on the USS Hornet – I have hit the 6 month mark! First, I want to say I hope everyone had a great holiday. With the holiday season here I have a few days off from my regular job and was able to get a lot of work on the Hornet. To start with I added crew members to the bow and hull. There are a few standing near doorways as well. Once they were placed I moved onto the flight deck catwalks. For the bow end I added the catwalks and rails. They were then painted and mounted to the flight deck. For the aft section there are also four 20mm AA guns as well. I cut off the gun sections from the kit catwalk and trimmed them to fit the photo etch catwalks. I am waiting to add the AA guns until later to avoid accidently damaging them.

The next part is new for me. I purchased the Nautilus Models wood flight deck. The directions strongly call out to stain/paint the deck prior to installing. They recommend using the White Ensign US11 Flight Deck Stain 21 which is made by ColourCoats. There are sections for the island and other flight deck details that need to be cut out to fit on the deck. The wooden deck is self-adhesive so you just need to use a knife to cut through the backing paper to remove them. The decking was them painted. I next painted the two lines that were used to guide the B-25’s down the deck. The wider line was for the port main gear and the thinner line was for the nose gear. Another interesting marking that was unique was they actually glued sheets of non-skid to the deck at the 450ft mark for the main wheels. The purpose at the time was to stage the B-25 wheels on the spots. This was to line up each aircraft on the exact same starting point for the launch. I replicated these by painting two black squares in the correct locations Once it was dry I did a little weathering with dark gray pastel chalk around the elevators and the landing area.

A hole was drilled into the flight deck where the island goes so that the wires for the island lighting could be routed. The island was then mounted to the flight deck. I routed the wires through the hangar and then to the bottom of the hull. I then checked to make sure all the lighting works. I then needed to adjust the intensity of the lights. They are way too bright. Since the island uses 5mm LED’s and the hangar deck is only PICO size I needed to adjust the intensity for each section. To accomplish this I added a 650 ohm resistor for the power in. This made the hangar deck lighting correct but the island was still too bright. A 470 ohm resistor was added to the wiring going to the island. This corrected the intensity level to a much more realistic level.

Finally, for this week I used a box to raise the model. This was done to allow me to paint the 5-N Navy Blue camouflage on the bottom of the hull. Using a reference photo I duplicated the scheme. I am currently working on adding the rest of the details to the flight deck like the pilot house and the deck crane. There is light at the end of the tunnel! I am hoping to start working on the B-25’s then all the crew members for the flight deck in the next week.

You can see the numerous photos and details from the start of the huge project in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-350-uss-hornet-cv-8-doolittle-raid/

dscn6419.jpg

dscn6376.jpg

dscn6377.jpg

dscn6389.jpg

dscn6392.jpg

dscn6399.jpg

dscn6400.jpg

dscn6401.jpg

dscn6411.jpg

dscn6412.jpg

dscn6414.jpg

dscn6417.jpg

dscn6418.jpg

dscn6436.jpg

dscn6440.jpg

• Like 1

Love the lighting. 

I did the hangar bay on a Hasegawa 1/700 USS ESSEX. LED's were brand new then but I used grain of rice bulbs. Did not do anything on the island. 

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

For the first update of 2022 and week 27 of the Hornet Project the ship itself is now complete!  I started the week off by adding the guns and final items to the flight deck. On the starboard side where the 20mm’s are next to the island I noticed there is a shield in front of them. I used a strip of styrene to replicate this. I then added the LSO platforms. There are two of them one at the bow and one at the stern. I then used the kit main crane tower and added the photo etch accessories. Using the reference photos I used some EZ-Line fine to rig up the crane cables. The crane was then mounted in the correct location. The kit is slightly off of the actual position.

With the flight deck detailed I then added the remaining details to the hull like the anchors and life rafts. The life rafts have a photo etch webbing as well as the oars and mounting straps. I then added the port loop antenna to the bow and the two starboard antenna mounts. I then added the LSO folding walls in the down position. The two gang planks were added to each side in the folded position. At this point the ship itself is now complete. I then started on the sixteen B-25B Doolittle Raiders. The photo etch set comes with a cockpit. The cockpit consists of the cockpit bucket with two seats, two control sticks, the instrument panel and the bulkhead for nose. The fuselage of the B-25B needs to have the two locating pins and sockets removed in order to accommodate the cockpit. As for the B-25B kit, there are a couple of things that I do not like. First, they have a belly gun turret which needs to be removed as these were not on the Doolittle Raider aircraft. Second, they include the canopy and nose in clear but have the upper turret and tail molded in the gray. These are large enough that they could have included clear parts. Actually, if the upper fuselage was molded in clear it would also help with the tail as well. I ended up painting the turret and tail canopy light blue and then the turret frame in the green drab.

Once the fuselage was assembled and wings added I then used the photo etch for the landing gear and landing gear doors. The instructions have you cut off the kit struts and use the wheels for the photo etch landing gear. I used the same method as I did with the other aircraft for the propellers using 0.5mm fiber optic for the propeller shaft and hub. The kit only comes with some of the tail numbers (not all are the correct numbers) and the insignias. I made my own set of decals for them. These include the correct tail numbers, the prop warning stripe, the U.S. ARMY under the wings and the correct nose art for the few aircraft that had them. The first one painted is Col. Doolittle’s lead aircraft.  I have eleven more to build and then paint and place the 3-D printed crew members. Next week I should be starting the “at sea” base. Need to figure out the exact size then contact Grandpa’s Cabinets and order the case.

You can see the numerous photos and details from the start of the huge project in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-350-uss-hornet-cv-8-doolittle-raid/

dscn6448.jpg

dscn6449.jpg

dscn6453.jpg

dscn6455.jpg

dscn6458.jpg

dscn6463.jpg

dscn6465.jpg

dscn6466.jpg

dscn6470.jpg

dscn6476.jpg

dscn6477.jpg

dscn6480.jpg

dscn6481.jpg

dscn6483.jpg

dscn6485.jpg

Week 28 - This week has been spent building the B-25B’s. I made an assembly line so I could open up the fuselages for the cockpits. Once all the aircraft fuselages were built I placed them on the flight deck just to see placement. I placed them as they were staged when they pulled out of San Francisco Bay and then how they were staged for the launching just to give you an idea on how much space they had to work with to get perform this mission. I will be staging them as they were on deck as the ship left San Francisco Bay on April 1, 1942.

I then made all the landing gear using the PE struts and the kit wheels which had their struts removed. These were then installed on all the aircraft. Next on the assembly line was adding all the landing gear doors. The undersides of all the aircraft were then painted with Neutral Gray with aluminum for landing gear and wheel hubs. Getting ready to paint the Green Drab on the topside then add all the decals. Then I just need to add the propellers and the canopies. The B-25B’s should all be completed this coming week. I am also going to measure out and start preparing the base for the display case.

dscn6486.jpg

dscn6489.jpg

dscn6492.jpg

dscn6495.jpg

dscn6497.jpg

dscn6499.jpg

dscn6504.jpg

Week 29 – One week closer to completing this project! The B-25B’s are now complete. I spent the early part of the week painting the aircraft, building the propellers and painting them, applying the decals and installing the canopy and nose. They are then set on a grid so I can place them on the ship in order. It was a little time consuming as I had to let the paint dry then the decals set. During these little breaks I started to layout the base. I needed to do this so I can get the exact measurements to order the display case. The case ended up being 33” long, 12” wide and 10” tall to accommodate the base and ship. Once the case sizing was established I contacted Grandpa’s Cabinets ( https://www.grandpascabinets.com/ ) Display Cases for Collectibles - Custom Display Cases and ordered the case. I then figured out the position of the ship and where the wakes will be. Since I am using sheet styrene for the base I decided to use some Milliput to for the wakes. Also during one of these breaks I packed up all the electronics in the hull and glued on the waterline base.

After installing the canopy and nose on the aircraft I then added the propellers and painted the tips. This now completes all sixteen B-25B’s of the Doolittle Raiders. I then grabbed the dish with all the 3-D printed crew and sorted them out (Navy enlisted, Navy Officers, USAAF pilots, and USAAF enlisted). I will be painting them and then placing them and the B-25’s on the flight deck. I will then build up the base.

dscn6505.jpg

dscn6509.jpg

dscn6511.jpg

dscn6512.jpg

dscn6513.jpg

dscn6522.jpg

dscn6524.jpg

e171836.jpg

e172137.jpg

e172159.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to last and final week of the Trumpeter 1/350 USS Hornet CV-8 Project!

This is going to be a huge update. I am breaking in up into 3 sections due to the details and number of photos. The first section is adding the figures and aircraft to complete the ship. The second section will be on making the “At Sea” base. The last section is the photos of the completed project. At the bottom is a list of all the accessories that were used to create this project.

Section 1 – The crew and aircraft loaded aboard. All of the figures used on the flight deck and island are the 3-D printed figures. I separated them into four groups. The four groups are Enlisted Navy, Navy Officers, USAAF enlisted, and the brave USAAF pilots of the Doolittle Raiders. I also added a Moto-tug with a tow bar. The figures come in various poses. It even gave me to sailors using binoculars as lookouts. These were placed on the front of the island at the level just above the bridge. There are two crew members removing the tow bar for storage as well as the USAAF pilots talking on the flight deck. The aircraft were then staged on the deck in their launch order. Doolittle’s aircraft leads the group. I staged them as they were when they were leaving San Francisco Bay. I picked this particular point in time as it was the last time the hangar deck doors would have been open. Once the ship was out to sea the hangar doors would be closed.

dscn6529.jpg

dscn6530.jpg

dscn6534.jpg

dscn6540.jpg

dscn6545.jpg

dscn6550.jpg

dscn6554.jpg

Section 2 – Creating the base. I used two sheets of 1/8” sheet styrene. The sheets are 24” long and 12” wide. After gluing the sheets end to end I trimmed it back to 33” long. Side note: I gave these measurements to Ron and Grandpa’s Cabinets so that the case would hold the base inside the acrylic cove. As usual, Ron’s artistry in making quality display cases was right on. The base fit perfectly inside the cover.

Moving forward, I mixed up some milliput putty to create the bow wake as well as the trailing wake. I then sprayed the base colors. I use dark sea blue on the open areas, regular blue closer to the ship, and intermediate blue for the wakes. I began laying the first coat of acrylic gel. I used a round brush typically used for applying eye makeup. When applying the acrylic gel it is best to make the strokes horizontal to the ship. This gives the waves an even direction. For the trailing wake I dabbed the acrylic gel vertically. The ship model was the glued to the base. The second coat of acrylic gel was then laid down. This coat was to build up the bow wake as well as the splashing along the hull. I also did some vertical dabbing around the bow to give the surface the splashed look from the bow. The third and final coat of acrylic gel was mostly the aft wake to build up the sides even with the hull. After the acrylic gel was fully cured the surface was then painted using Tamiya X-23 clear blue gloss. This gives the “water” a Pacific blue tone as well as blending the three shades of blue. Once dry, I then used Tamiya XF-2 flat white to paint the top of the wakes. The white was then dry brushed on surrounding wave detail near the wake. White was finally dry brushed vertically on the bow spray and the aft wake.  Then using the same large brush I used to apply the acrylic gel I dipped it in thinner and lightly brushed all the white areas. This blended the white and clear blue giving various shades of blue and white for the visual effect of the wakes. Finally, once everything was dry I used Pledge Floor coating over all the water to give it a super high gloss (wet look). I then applied a second coat along the bow and used fiber fill (like what is used in stuffed animals or throw pillows) to create the bow splashing the water. I then lightly sprayed some Pledge onto the fibers to add water droplets. This completed the base! Later this coming week I will make a Tips and Tricks page on creating the sea base for anyone who would like to use this method.

dscn6563.jpg

dscn6568.jpg

dscn6575.jpg

dscn6579.jpg

dscn6592.jpg

dscn6593.jpg

dscn6596.jpg

dscn6597.jpg

dscn6599.jpg

dscn6618.jpg

And now the final section – I added a jack under the base so I can plug in the AC/DC adapter to supply power to the LED’s.  I then took some sheet styrene and made a mount to hold the brass nameplate. The clear cover was then placed over the ship completing the ship. This project took approximately 30 weeks and 660 hours to build. The kit itself while not quite accurate in the bow section went together very well. The extensive amount of photo etch really brings out the details. Adding the crew figures was a first for me. I prefer the 3-D printed figure more than the Tamiya crew figures. The 3-D figures look way more realistic and have many different poses. The lookouts, The figures that are walking up stairs, and some figures kneeling are just some of the poses that worked out well. The Doolittle Raiders Aircraft decals that I made worked out very well. Once I get the page set up I will be offering these decals in both 1/350 and 1/200 scale. I have also scheduled a photographer to take some professional photos next week. For now below are the final photos I took. I also included a list of all the accessories used on this project and a short video of the completed ship which can be seen in my build log.

I want to thank all my fans and viewers for following along on this long highly detail build. I hope you have enjoyed watching this build. Take Care and happy modeling!

You can see the numerous photos and details from start to finish of the huge project in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-350-uss-hornet-cv-8-doolittle-raid/

dscn6607.jpg

dscn6611.jpg

dscn6613.jpg

dscn6616.jpg

dscn6624.jpg

dscn6625.jpg

dscn6631.jpg

dscn6633.jpg

dscn6644.jpg

dscn6647.jpg

dscn6648.jpg

f0005.jpg

f0007.jpg

f0009.jpg

f0014.jpg

• Like 1

That is some phenomenally outstanding work! I bow to the Master! Wow, I am overwhelmed at this amazing model! Watching it all come together mover all these months had been a thrilling voyage