Revell 1/40 A-1 Skyraider in SEA Markings (1959) Complete Build

thevid

The Revell 1/40 AD-6 was first issued in 1959.  It is not a box scale kit.  Revell issued other kits in the same scale.  Other makes did the same, namely Bandai.  It had a slew of working features and many parts to go with it.  I never did like all those features and so I decided to build my version wheels up thus freeing me from trying to figure out all the gears and levers that needed to assembled.  The model was originally planned as a USN bird but the decals I had were not very good.  The assembly was an exercise in puttying, sanding and repeat.  The kit had been started and I simply continued the process.

Revell A-1H 1-40 scale 006.JPG

Revell A-1H 1-40 scale 007.JPG

Revell A-1H 1-40 scale 014.JPG

Edited by thevid

Work continues.  The model was built with gear up.  The forward seam on the dive brakes is easily seen so I left that open.  Outer wing and tail are on the last photo.

Revell A-1H 1-40 scale 001.JPG

Revell A-1H 1-40 scale 002.JPG

Revell A-1H 1-40 scale 001.JPG

Revell A-1H 1-40 scale 002.JPG

Edited by thevid
  • Like 1

Finished!  So here is the classic Revell kit built out of the box. The only additions were the small white blade antenna on the spine and the aerial.  The stand if from the Otaki C-5 kit.

Revell 40 scale Skyraider 004.JPG

Revell 40 scale Skyraider 006.JPG

Revell 40 scale Skyraider 007.JPG

• Like 1

Another classic build David! And again you did a fine job on this one. The “Flight of the Intruder” clip is a nice touch. I remember seeing those Skyraiders being fixed up for that film at Long Beach Airport back in the late 80s.

1 hour ago, Stikpusher said:

Another classic build David! And again you did a fine job on this one. The “Flight of the Intruder” clip is a nice touch. I remember seeing those Skyraiders being fixed up for that film at Long Beach Airport back in the late 80s.

Thanks Carlos.  The only other models of this kit I have seen are the photos on the side of the Revell box or catalogs.  One thing I did learn from building this kit is that the windshield does not have painted frames. The side glass butts up against the front windshield.  They do look like frames and modelers paint them.l.

WOW!!! Very nice! The only other one of these I ever saw built was by my brother back in 197?. 

42 minutes ago, VMF211 said:

WOW!!! Very nice! The only other one of these I ever saw built was by my brother back in 197?. 

Thank you Keith!  Even if I wanted to I don't think I could figure out all those moving parts. 🙂 

Revell also issued this kit back in the 80’s in their Brown Box “History Makers” series, in USAF SEA colors and markings. I can’t remember if I made all the workable stuff operate or not when I built it back then. 

Impressive display of skills t bring such and older kit up to snuff! This also brings back many memories as THIS was the very first kit my dad ever bought and built (and I picked it out) about 1965, and I fondly recall all of those neat working features. Congrats on a great build that also walked me down memory lane!

Gil :cool:

3 hours ago, Stikpusher said:

Revell also issued this kit back in the 80’s in their Brown Box “History Makers” series, in USAF SEA colors and markings. I can’t remember if I made all the workable stuff operate or not when I built it back then. 

Yes they did and as you can see that the wings are a bit droopy from the working features and also  to accommodate the landing to be able to retract the struts are too short.  These are the two issues.  The wing is easy to correct, but I did not want ot deal with the landing gear.  I'm not a good scratchbuilder. 

1 hour ago, ghodges said:

Impressive display of skills t bring such and older kit up to snuff! This also brings back many memories as THIS was the very first kit my dad ever bought and built (and I picked it out) about 1965, and I fondly recall all of those neat working features. Congrats on a great build that also walked me down memory lane!

Gil :cool:

Hey that's really cool Gil.  The only big boy model I bought as a kit was the Revell 1/48 F-102 with many parts. It was like $5 or so in 1967.  I learned to apply decals with that kit.  That kit nowadays is worth hundreds of dollars.