I’m hoping they put the dioramas out in the middle of the room instead of jammed up against the wall like in Chattanooga. I thought 2019 was well done except for that. 

Dioramas need to be out where they can be seen from all around and not jammed against the wall like a space available entry.

Maybe put them earlier in the awards que, too. 

Dak

Dioramas are part of the Miscellaneous Category so will always be announced towards the end.

As a Misc. Judge I would love to have them on tables that I can easily get around to look at but still want them grouped with the rest of the category. 
It is hard to judge when you go searching for your next category.

They have put them in the center before. And they should not be part of miscellaneous. They are a major mainstream subject.

They can do the awards any way they choose. It not just about aircraft anymore.

Dak

Sorry David, diorama's have been assigned a space against the south wall of the model area.  In case you're wondering why, is that many require power for lighting and such and it's easier (and less expensive) for power-drops.   May be the same reason that Nooga put them there.   

Sadly, they will probably get all jammed up like Chattanooga and it will end up two tables deep. Oh well, I’m just a pawn in the great game of life.

Dak

2 hours ago, Boblvnv said:

May be the same reason that Nooga put them there.   

It is the reason they were there in 2005 in Atlanta, and probably every other show.I do not recall Dioramas ever being in the middle.

Posted (edited)

They were out in the middle at Omaha in 2017. 

Dak

Edited by Dakimbrell

• 2 weeks later...

Dak

I was responsible for the placement of the Diorama class in Chattanooga (and played a role in placing categories for Atlanta in 2005) and James is spot on. The only way we were able to get decent electrical connections was against the wall. The reason that this category seemed jammed in (and it was) was due to two factors  - higher than anticipated model turnout along with the tables that were delivered were smaller than what we planned and ordered. 

Most categories would like to be arranged so that the attendees could see all sides of the model. Unfortunately, this is not possible for ever category (usually) and knowing that a number of dioramas are built to be viewed from a certain side such as the box dioramas also factored into the room placement.

Have fun modeling

Mike

Guys,

I fully understand the problems of laying out a model show. I get it that the odd diorama or shadow box is in need of power. However, the majority do not.

Dioramas often seem to be treated as an after thought even to the point that a lot of judges make a point of NOT getting caught up in judging them.

Given the turn out in the diorama class,in recent years, perhaps it is time to rethink this.

Las Vegas is set. But future shows should consider how much electrical power is REALLY needed. Maybe create a special category, or location for them as we do with ADULT entries. 

Dak

13 minutes ago, Dakimbrell said:

Maybe create a special category, or location for them as we do with ADULT entries. 

Like, what, behind a curtain?! LOL!

The judges who do not get “caught up” in judging dioramas are likely judges - such as myself - who, not being diorama builders, do not feel competent to fairly evaluate them. After all, it is the Nationals and the entrants deserve to have their entries scrutinized by people who have some passing familiarity with the genre. A quick scan of any contest room will reveal that only a small percentage of the entries are dioramas because so few modelers build dioramas. Hence the pool of qualified diorama judges is always small and many of them are likely to be disqualified from judging based on the fact that they are entered in those categories. 

Having judged at the Nationals for many years, I can assure you that the head Class Judges and all the line judges are scrupulous in giving every entry the appropriate amount of time and attention. No entry is treated as an afterthought! 

Nick Filippone, Senior National Judge

I do not say individual entries are treated as an afterthought at the convention, I’m saying the whole genre is treated as an afterthought by the society. This is how armor got treated back in the 80s. Things are changing and the diorama entries seem to be on the increase.

Dioramas are a small part of the total number. But that can be said of every group, if you break it down by specific type.

On the occasions I judged dioramas, a number of judges were almost novices. They did not yet have the general judging skills of long time National judges.

Perhaps the more senior judges need to learn how to judge dioramas and expand their skills, if they want truly be competent National level judges. They should make a point of bringing their rich level of modeling/judging skills to look at a very complex level of model work.

You never learn by not doing.

And I still think dioramas would be better out in the middle of the room regardless of who judges them. 

Dak, National Judge. 

Perhaps one day we can do away with the need for electrical outlets supplied by the venue. With the availability of inexpensive rechargeable power supplies I'm surprised people still need it now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ShutterAce said:

Perhaps one day we can do away with the need for electrical outlets supplied by the venue. With the availability of inexpensive rechargeable power supplies I'm surprised people still need it now.

Exactly.  Charge the power supply and plug it in.  If you're worried about running time, have two.

Who is the dio head judge and what is there contact information?  I need to chat with them regarding my entry.

That is Phil Perry's class.   Instead of publishing his personal email info, I suggest you contact him c/o the NCC email address:  NCC@ipmsusa.org

Posted (edited)

Does anyone have a hard count on how many dioramas needed a power source at past shows? I can only recall two specifically at Chattanooga.

This is what I mean by marginalized. Because of one or two entries ALL the dioramas now get stuck against the wall, while say 1/72nd scale soft-skins get put on a table in the open.

Dak

Edited by Dakimbrell

1 hour ago, EFGrune said:

That is Phil Perry's class.   Instead of publishing his personal email info, I suggest you contact him c/o the NCC email address:  NCC@ipmsusa.org

Thank you.  Will do!

For those who've  never done it, the layout is generally set by category with the 000s (juniors)  at the 'front, followed by the 100s, 200s, etc.

This means that Dioramas (700s) and Misc (800s) are in the back or up against the wall. Having not seen the table layout for Vegas yet, I'd bet you a dollar it's very similar to what we've always done.

I'd be willing to bet that we switch to GSB before they rearrange the classes and the layouts ... and I don't think either will happen at all.

5 hours ago, Dakimbrell said:

Does anyone have a hard count on how many dioramas needed a power source at past shows? I can only recall two specifically at Chattanooga.

This is what I mean by marginalized. Because of one or two entries ALL the dioramas now get stuck against the wall, while say 1/72nd scale soft-skins get put on a table in the open.

Dak

Hey, why you picking on me? Talk about marginalization.....

JUST JOKING! Let's not get crazy here.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.....

James

Not every national show is set up the same. Here in 2018 Armor and aircraft were in the back just like they were in Chattanooga, and Columbus in 15. When I set the room up for 2018 I had to take into account a multitude of issues. Jr's up front, along with display only as we were emphasizing those for the whole year leading up to the show. Then I had to put ships up front due to their size as I didn't want guys lugging entries a long ways, same with Dioramas, those can get big to but then i also had to take into account where the power was. Luckily the drop was in the floor to the front but we only had 1 entry that required it. The problem also is you never know what is going to show up. I allotted quite a bit of room for 1/350th ships in 2018 and I think we had 2/3 show up. So you just don't know. You have to estimate the amount and types of entries that will show and how do you allocate table space for them. 2 things are fairly certain, Aircraft and armor are popular, they just are so you have to allocate more room, all the rest you simply have no idea what will show up. The local guys have to work with what they have and what the facility will allow. So to say it's a #100 through #800 layout really isn't how it's done or how I've seen it done for a few years at least.

Jim