Monogram 1/48 Do335 Out of the box (1974)

thevid

Here's is Monograms version of the Do335. First issued in 1974 this kit has re-issued many times.   I built out of the box but worked on getting the seams around the upper nose and engine panels.  I took my time with it and tried to make as clean a model as I could

Monogram_DO335_OOB_67.jpg

Monogram_DO335_OOB_63.jpg

Monogram_DO335_OOB_65.jpg

Monogram_DO335_OOB_64.jpg

Monogram_DO335_OOB_62.jpg

• Like 1

Very sharp & clean build! Nicely done! I think that Monogram did a great job in 1974 on the old girl.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stikpusher said:

Very sharp & clean build! Nicely done! I think that Monogram did a great job in 1974 on the old girl.

Thank Carlos.  Monogram kits are excellent value.  I have a B-24J that I've been working on intermittently for a while now.  Eventually I'll have to completely.

I hear ya David. Over on another website many years ago, a few of us members started a “Monogram Mafia” after getting tired of the constant bashing those kits would take from some folks. As we both know, they are not unbuildable junk. Now some do take more modeling skills than others, most were cutting edge in model molding when they were first released. 

Crisp build of a true classic! It's always amazed me how much interest there's been in that plane, considering how it never really saw any combat. I also have to echo the comments on Monogram....best "bang-for-the-buck" in history! Thanks for sharing!

Gil :cool:

Yeah, I remember the old Monogram Mafia! What a blast! While I never liked the looks of this plane, I can say that I truly love looking at a very well built kit! Way to go David!

On 6/19/2021 at 12:22 PM, ShutterAce said:

A really nice job on a nice old kit. The cockpit detail in this kit blew me away the first time I built one back in the mid 70's and did again when I built one a few years ago.

Thanks James!  It took some fussing around the nose and I think I added a pound weight in the nose 😉 to get it to sit right. 

On 6/19/2021 at 8:11 PM, Stikpusher said:

I hear ya David. Over on another website many years ago, a few of us members started a “Monogram Mafia” after getting tired of the constant bashing those kits would take from some folks. As we both know, they are not unbuildable junk. Now some do take more modeling skills than others, most were cutting edge in model molding when they were first released. 

Ha!  That's why I build verbally abused kits.  I get tired of "crude, toylike, inaccurate, throw it away, give it to your kids, etc." comments.  

On 6/20/2021 at 2:17 PM, ghodges said:

Crisp build of a true classic! It's always amazed me how much interest there's been in that plane, considering how it never really saw any combat. I also have to echo the comments on Monogram....best "bang-for-the-buck" in history! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Gil.  Hey did you go to North Caroline several years ago for a huge auction of a kit collector who had passed away and left thousands of kits behind?  I was first in line since I arrived at 3:00 am then another couple of guys and then Jeff Garrity from RarePlane Detective.  

On 6/20/2021 at 5:47 PM, Mark Deliduka said:

Yeah, I remember the old Monogram Mafia! What a blast! While I never liked the looks of this plane, I can say that I truly love looking at a very well built kit! Way to go David!

Hi Mark thanks.  What site was this mafia using at the time?  

The Monogram Mafia is over on Fine Scale Modeler. We ran several group builds to be “made” into the family 😉. Usually the requirement was to build two Monogram or Revell kits within a six month timespan. It was all in fun of course, but a nice way for fans of the companies to share our following amongst like minded modelers.

Monogram Mafia FSM

Yeah, maybe we should start another cosa nostra here on these boards too. Between you, me and David; possibly even Gil, we could have quite a little family going. 😎

True that Mark! We’ll make ‘me an offer they can’t refuse… 😉

YES! A friend and I drove 6hrs one way to go to that "10,000 kit sale"...but we couldn't go until Sunday. Still came home with some really good deals! My friend was literally dragging a huge cardboard box behind him and filled it with kits.....when we got back to his house about midnight that night, we unloaded his stuff on his porch and then I ran for the car yelling "getting them in past your wife is YOUR problem"!  :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by ghodges
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ghodges said:

YES! A friend and I drove 6hrs one way to go to that "10,000 kit sale"...but we couldn't go until Sunday. Still came home with some really good deals! My friend was literally dragging a huge cardboard box behind him and filled it with kits.....when we got back to his house about midnight that night, we unloaded his stuff on his porch and then I ran for the car yelling "getting them in past your wife is YOUR problem"!  :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ok. Then it was you.  I forget the day I went, but I think you guys showed up real early.  My son and I were there much earlier and a cop came by wanting to know what we were doing there.  I told him there was a sale going on later and he was satisfied and left.  I filled my van to the top and spent about $700.  I know I came home with about 50 1/48 Hasegawa F-4 Phantom kits, each with different markings (probably for Japanese market).  I had an eBay business then and sold all of the kits I bought that day.  Now I'm that guy.