Vintage Kit: Airfix Me-262 (1960)

thevid

When the new Airfix Me262 came out I built the original version from Airfix for a fun comparison.  It is built out of the box and the decals are from the new Airfix Me262.  For a 61 year old mold it does hold up.  The last photo shows the new and old kits.

Airfix Original Me262 Inst017.jpg

Airfix Me262a 1960 ver 003cc.jpg

Airfix Me262a 1960 ver 005cc.jpg

Airfix Me262a 1960 ver 008cc.jpg

Airfix Me262a 1960 ver 012.JPG

Airfix Me262a 1960 ver 014cc.jpg

Airfix New and old Me262a 018cc.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, you just keep bringing up such awesome memories of building these same kits when I was a kid! Sweet! Both of them look great!

Keep these vintage kits coming man!

23 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Wow, you just keep bringing up such awesome memories of building these same kits when I was a kid! Sweet! Both of them look great!

Keep these vintage kits coming man!

Thanks Mark! I have several copies in my warehouse (it's beyond a stash at this point) but I had never built it because of modeler's syndrome.  You know, "I have to get this resin set, it's not accurate" etc, and all the little traps we set for ourselves.  Once freed of that, started to enjoy modeling again.  

19 hours ago, ghodges said:

That old kit does hold up....with loving skills like your own applied! Nice duo to have on your shelf!

Gil :cool:

Thank you Gil.  I built four vintage Me262 kits together, Matchbox, FROG, Heller and Hasegawa.  Here they are.  From top to bottom: Hasegawa, Heller, FROG and Matchbox.

Hsgw Me262a_DSC_2945.JPG

Heller ME262B_DSC_2927.jpg

FROG_ME262_DSC_2861.jpg

matchbox Me262_DSC_2847.jpg

Edited by thevid
  • Like 2

Another good looking build of a classic molding. It may not be as up to date detail wise as it’s new tool twin brother, but it still looks the part

20 hours ago, Stikpusher said:

Another good looking build of a classic molding. It may not be as up to date detail wise as it’s new tool twin brother, but it still looks the part

There have been tremendous changes in molding tech but in the end it's the builder that determines the outcome.  If I build one of those new kits with 10,000 parts I know I will not enjoy it and will probably lose half of them before I'm done. 🙂

Yeah, I'm glad I never fell into that trap of trying to get every possible aftermarket set to 'accurize' everything. I kust revel in the thrill of building ... and finishing... models!

Nice flight of Swallows David! I love 'em!