Old Airfix Gloster Gladiator, 1/72.

Ron Bell

I got this kit in a grab bag of kits I bought. It's from the 1956 molds and even had the pilot's head molded in halves integral to the fuselage sides. There are many inaccuracies and omissions, so to build it 'right' would be a real waste of time as there are now many other much better representations, including Airfix's own excellent re-tooled one. But I decided to do it just for fun, so I did it as a desk model and since it was to be in flight, I added the 'spinning' prop. I also rigged it, which was not called for in the instructions, and added the antenna, which you may notice is the wrong configuration, but since there were so many other 'problems' and it was simpler to do this way, I settled for it amongst all the other inaccuracies, which includes the markings. The kit's decals were useless, so I got some out of the spares box. They actually belong to a Hawker Fury of First Squadron, but hey, in for a penny in for a pound, inaccuracy-wise.

PXL_20210613_221041475.jpg

PXL_20210613_221047929.jpg

PXL_20210613_221121333.jpg

PXL_20210613_221150669.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210613_221429963.jpg

• Like 3

I love reading about builds of these golden oldies.  An interesting contest our chapter has from time to time is everyone build the exact, same kit to see who could make the best silk purse out of an old sow's ear.  Wouldn't it be great to see who could build the best of this one?  Please build more of these oldies-but-goodies Ron.

Ron that is sensational! Who cares about inaccuracies? From the looks of things you had a blast building and painting this and that is what matters the most! I love seeing old models like this being built as the makers intended. Way to go Ron!

Looks like a Gladiator to me! So what if it doesn’t have all of the latest bells & whistles of today’s scale modeling? I’m sure that this model gave you plenty of hours of modeling enjoyment. Very nicely done!

Edited by Stikpusher

• 2 weeks later...

I though this kit was a very early kit and there was a second updated edition in the 1960s..  So after checking ScaleMates it shows that it is the same kit from 1956 up to the issue of the new mold in 2013. It is a 65 year old mold.  

• 2 weeks later...

I can remember when these were sold in Woolworths in the UK for two shillings say back when! When Airfix first started making and marketing their kits I believe that they had a contract with Woolies that the kits were first sold there for a certain time period before other outlets could stock them.