Airfix 1/72 Junkers Ju88A (1964)

thevid

Airfix 1/72 Junkers Ju88A

The classic Airfix 1/72 Junkers Ju88A-4

I built this about 4 years ago and did update a couple of items.  I used a Mattel vac-form machine to make new clear parts, since the ones in the box were dense and not as crisp as once before.  I had extra parts from an AMT kit and used the cockpit and wheels from that kit.  In the end it looks just like the Ju88 even if the cowlings are a bit swollen.  

MG2A0226.JPG

MG2A0228.JPG

MG2A0230.JPG

Airfix Ju88_DSC_2819.jpg

• Like 1

That's a terrific workup of a very old kit! I can't help but also admire your excellent cockpit and nose frame painting, and I know that your vacuform frame lines weren't as crisp as the injection ones. I have the old AMT Ju-88 (and Falcon vac canopies) in 1/48 and plan to do just as you did...and will be very happy if it looks anywhere near as good as yours does! Thanks for posting!

Gil :cool:

2 hours ago, ghodges said:

That's a terrific workup of a very old kit! I can't help but also admire your excellent cockpit and nose frame painting, and I know that your vacuform frame lines weren't as crisp as the injection ones. I have the old AMT Ju-88 (and Falcon vac canopies) in 1/48 and plan to do just as you did...and will be very happy if it looks anywhere near as good as yours does! Thanks for posting!

Gil :cool:

Thanks Gil!  On my 1/72 Ju88 models I use decal strips.  It is so much easier than trying to mask off each pane.  I used MicroScale decal sheet pre-printed in RLM 66 and painted the correct color over it.  On the newer JU88 kits I suppose there are precise masks available.  Thanks again.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 1:42 AM, Mark Deliduka said:

Magnificent work David, especially given the age of that kit! Way to go!

Thanks Marks,  I appreciate it.  Now to build the FROG and Lindberg versions and I'll have all of the early Ju88s done.

Your Ju-88 came out about as best as can be built from that kit. Once again, some very nice work! Bravo!