Product Incompatibilities?

Kranman

Okay, I'm doing some prepping for decals on my Tamiya Skyraider and have Testors' Glosscoated everything - the lacquer variety. I shot the anti-glare panel ahead of the windscreen Tamiya black and got very minor overspray on the wing. I tried to remove it with Tamiya thinner on a cotton ball and it took the Glosscoat off the wing. I thought Tamiya's line was acrylic so what's eating through a three-day-old lacquer clearcoat?

Call me stumped...

Model Master Clear coats are not solvent resistant. I actually have learned to CAREFULLY wipe has I have taken it down to bare plastic or primer in two swipes. I refuse to use acrylics so I have just become more careful.

Okay, I'm doing some prepping for decals on my Tamiya Skyraider and have Testors' Glosscoated everything - the lacquer variety. I shot the anti-glare panel ahead of the windscreen Tamiya black and got very minor overspray on the wing. I tried to remove it with Tamiya thinner on a cotton ball and it took the Glosscoat off the wing. I thought Tamiya's line was acrylic so what's eating through a three-day-old lacquer clearcoat?

Call me stumped...

According to the Testors Model Master Modeler's Technical Guide, Isopropyl Alcohol will remove Glosscote. Seeing as Tamiya's acrylic thinner is pretty much 91% Isopropyl Alcohol....

Also, doesn't Tamiya make a Lacquer Thinner?

Ralph

Don't know about that, but I think their spray can paint is lacquer based.

Ralph is correct - Tamiya makes a nice lacquer thinner, actually and it works great with their acrylics - but it comes out to be more expensive than Mr. Color Thinner in the end. Their spray cans are also lacquer based as well.

As far as I can tell, Tamiya thinner and Isopropyl are nearly identical - whenever I do thin their acrylics with something other than lacquer thinner, I just use 91% isopropyl unless it's a gloss color. In that case, I do use Tamiya thinner as regular isopropyl seems to flatten out the gloss a bit.