Vintage Kit: Airfix 1/72 Do217 (1960)

thevid

This is the Airfix Do217 first issued in 1960.  It is built as the instructions indicated and I also used the paints recommended by Airfix.  The hardest part was masking the nose which I did one frame at a time.
The landing gear is missing support structs and should be added.   I did sand all surface detail and did some minor scribing.  I also used the kit decals.  So here she is built just as Airfix indicated in the instructions.  

Airfix_217E_34.jpg

Airfix_DO217E_36.jpg

Airfix_DO217E_39.jpg

Airfix_DO217E_41.jpg

Airfix_Do217E_42.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CCarvalho said:

Nicely done David! I built one of these in the late 70's. Very unique German bomber. Every so often I look around thinking I might buy one and build it again. I really like your paint scheme.

Thanks Craig!  I built this kit exactly as the instructions indicated and used the Humbrol recommendations.  I was surprised how well the camo turned out.  It's a fun simple kit, but the nose though, it does take some patience.

20 hours ago, Rusty White said:

Now THAT'S Out Of The Box!  Nicely done.  I enjoy seeing these golden oldies built up.

Thank you very much!  This one was fun to build.

2 hours ago, RCTHEFOX said:

NICE JOB. Its good to see older kits built to this standard.

Thank you Bob.  I appreciate it.  The kit was in a deteriorating box so I decided to just build it and see how it looks.  I sold it on eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

Good looking build David! You are really showing that these old kits can be built into fine representations using what comes in the box.

On 6/5/2021 at 12:34 AM, ghodges said:

That came out very nice! Way to fill a niche in your collection with a real classic!

Gil :cool:

Thanks.  Unfortunately I was unemployed at the time and had to sell many of my builds including this one.  But I'm sure I have others in the stash.