Vintage Kit: Monogram 1/72 F-105B (1958)

thevid

Monogram 1/72 F-105B

This kit was first issued in the late 1950s with moving parts.  This particular version is an early 1970s edition.  I sanded all the rivets and smoothed it out.  I used Tamiya silver spray can for the finish and decals from a very old MicroScale sheet.  Actual F-105s were painted with a silver finish which the Tamiya duplicates nicely. So here is the kit with no additions.  The markings are from an old MicroScale sheet with those of the 4th fighter Wing in Seymour Johnson AFB in North Carolina.  The yellow outline on the canopy was done with a very thin strip of 1/64" tape called simply pinstripe Tapes.

Monogram 72nd F-105B cc.JPG

Monogram 72nd F-105B_fini_011.JPG

Monogram 72nd F-105B_fini_012.JPG

Monogram 72nd F-105B_finii_010.JPG

• Like 2

Nicely done! I built a whole bunch of those when I was in high school but they did not survive getting packed away by my mom after I left home for the army.

Wow, I remember building that same kit way back in my childhood. I still have it! Hence, yours is far better because mine was done when I was ten. LOL!

That is a beautiful bird! Brilliant rendition of one of my favorite aircraft. It's so ugly it's gorgeous!

On 6/1/2021 at 6:18 PM, Stikpusher said:

Nicely done! I built a whole bunch of those when I was in high school but they did not survive getting packed away by my mom after I left home for the army.

Thanks Carlos!  I appreciate it.

On 6/1/2021 at 11:15 PM, ghodges said:

Terrific Thud! I'm pretty sure that old kit was never meant to look that good! Nice job of putting a new shine on that old penny!

Gil :cool:

Ha!  Thanks very much Gil.  I appreciate it.

On 6/2/2021 at 4:23 PM, Mark Deliduka said:

Wow, I remember building that same kit way back in my childhood. I still have it! Hence, yours is far better because mine was done when I was ten. LOL!

That is a beautiful bird! Brilliant rendition of one of my favorite aircraft. It's so ugly it's gorgeous!

Thank you Mark!  I only have one model from my teenage years.  It's one of my favorite ac as well.

Just one? I have almost all mine from my youth and teenage years.

Now, with all these incredible models you've been posting here, how many are you gonna bring to Las Vegas for the Nationals? I'd love to look at these in person.

On 6/2/2021 at 1:23 PM, Mark Deliduka said:

Brilliant rendition of one of my favorite aircraft. It's so ugly it's gorgeous!

Blasphemy!!!! The F-105 is gorgeous!!!! It looks beautiful, sleek, and fast just sitting still.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Stikpusher said:

Blasphemy!!!! The F-105 is gorgeous!!!! It looks beautiful, sleek, and fast just sitting still.

Hence: it's so ugly it's Gorgeous! I love that plane with it brutal aggressive look!

But it’s not ugly by any means... the F-4 Phantom on the other hand... 

I agree about the F-4 Phantom. Looks like a bulldog sitting there on the tarmac. I've heard a number of people call the 'chief ugly, but I always say that it's a gorgeous plane. There's nothing better than watching this on an attack run against some target.

Back in the '80's, I worked with a Thunderchief Wild Weasel pilot at a local Wal-Mart in Florida. Wish I'd had the chance to talk with him a lot more.

On 6/8/2021 at 1:53 AM, Mark Deliduka said:

Just one? I have almost all mine from my youth and teenage years.

Now, with all these incredible models you've been posting here, how many are you gonna bring to Las Vegas for the Nationals? I'd love to look at these in person.

Sadly I won't be making the trip to Vegas.  I am eagerly waiting for the local shows to get going again, like the Richmond and DC shows.