Jump to content

1/35 scale D-Day Paratrooper in a pig sty.


DW135
 Share

Recommended Posts

Being retired and hunkering down for this covid isolation gave me a lot of time to work on figures.  Here is an unfortunate 82nd Airborne trooper making a bad landing somewhere in Normandy.  

The two figures outside the pig pen are Nemrod resin figures.  They are very nice figures.  The sergeant in the mud is bashed together from the parts box. The pigs are Britain’s soft plastic farm animals.  Everything else is scratch built from bass wood, spackle, craft store crushed terra cotta and tissue paper.

I’ll post more progress photos at the bottom.

 

AE0C1002-6BD1-4C3F-84C1-CA10229F520D.jpeg

4D962C92-C7A5-494F-A89B-12D1050A7118.jpeg

3B48BEDC-9AF0-4FD9-AFF0-E68E0811B8B9.jpeg

12701B78-BADE-4646-8D7A-527EA9CC6AB3.jpeg

FF2FF0FA-1D6B-4112-8F81-F350557F3276.jpeg

E0194919-A478-4CCA-90F1-466D2B0FA541.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started with a bass wood structure for the walls. I then glued the crushed terra cotta that I found at the craft store to simulate stones.  Using one of those inexpensive micro wood choppers I chopped up wood and shingled the roof.  The mud is spackle mixed with some fine sand to give it some texture. After all that set up and dried I added the parachute.  I cut tissue paper in to triangular panels just as real parachutes are made.  After the bottom layer I added the shroud lines using silk thread. Silk thread is expensive, but it’s thin and it doesn’t have all the fibers that cotton thread has.

The paratrooper's harness and reserve chute are made of strips of paper and a few photo etched buckles.  

D5A3C967-CC32-47F7-B080-991C4BA32860.jpeg

9F68EC00-82EC-4F9B-8B24-4736988EF8EB.jpeg

2118DD21-8012-44E8-819B-65852D696B2E.jpeg

CBFB7695-AD5C-4880-B9EA-BC251D894102.jpeg

652187F7-DAD3-4F50-841B-6E0F7AF34F56.jpeg

3A6D116A-EAB5-4E67-979A-755047C5D30A.jpeg

64A805AE-1BB5-4A85-8C4F-77A27D3F461B.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After the bottom layer dried up I gave it a coat of thin yellow green paint.  I then added the top of the chute.  I wet the tissue with thinned white glue and then kept lifting it and gently blowing some canned air to keep the billowing shape.  It took a while but the glue dried up pretty quickly.  I painted the chute with very thin watered down paint to keep the parachute from looking solid.

It was a fun project, thanks for letting me post.

Dennis

CCE07C1B-EB45-4041-B74B-E45C1020D36C.jpeg

39FAC0D7-B2E2-4411-BBC0-C2C9DC70302B.jpeg

6BBDE9FE-A709-4B28-A971-5E2E23CB885F.jpeg

269A24BF-8C35-44F9-BED0-B2B3557C8008.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...