Testors, Rustoleum & Weirdness

ipmsusa2

Out of simple...or maybe morbid...curiosity, I checked the old Testors website and found a full list of testors and model master colors.  Huh?  So I checked the Rustoleum site.  They have...or had...a link at the bottom of their home page that goes to their testors website with all the changes.  Today that link is gone.  BUT the original old testors.com website still exists.  Stranger, when you put testors into the Rustoleum search box, you get a page of listings for testor with the top one being a link to the testors.com website.  Yes, that's right...the old testors website that is no longer valid.  Given the size of the companies involved...from RPM on down...you'd think they'd be able to keep the various company websites up to date...including killing the testors.com site.  Or maybe they just don't care enough to bother.

Incidentally, for those who might be interested, Stevens International and Megahobby both list 99% to 99 1/2% of all testors products as out of stock.  And adding insult to injury for car modelers, there's an online article in the new FineScale Newsletter that recommends the high gloss lacquer and wet look gloss lacquer spray cans from testors as the preferred clear coats for a high gloss car model finish.  Now all you have to do is find the stuff.

Correct. They do not care. This is such a miniscule amount of business for them, it doesn't matter. They are focusing on making money and Testors is not anywhere near the top for them. They may redo the web page or update it but who knows

Dave

Sad but true. It’s like Testors turned back the clock to the 1970s and all that’s left is what they sold then- square bottle enamels, tube and liquid cement, etc. Rustoleum/RPM gobbled up all of their US based hobby paint competitors thru mergers/acquisitions, then discontinued those companies. Sad days for us modelers in that respect. Ah well, at least we have other sources for products available.

Lamenting the passing of Testors has slowly evolved into beating a dead horse.  To paraphrase the Pythons:

"They're not pinin'!  They've passed on!  Testors is no more!  Testors has ceased to be!  They've expired and gone to meet their maker!  They're a stiff!  Bereft of life, they rest in peace!  They've kicked the bucket, shuffled off their mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! TESTORS IS AN EX-COMPANY!!"

And as I've posted several times to several forums, there is literally NOTHING Testors marketed than cannot be found elsewhere.  Not even the High Gloss and Wet Look lacquers...

26 minutes ago, Ralph Nardone said:

there is literally NOTHING Testors marketed than cannot be found elsewhere. 

I’m still looking to find something to replace their “universal” airbrush thinners, both enamel and acrylic, as well as their airbrush cleaner. I know that there is no such thing as a universal acrylic thinner, due to different formulations between the various companies. But for acrylics that did not need an alcohol based thinner, that stuff worked ok. And the cleaner worked excellent, without the heavy odor of lacquer thinner or acetone. Their enamel thinner gave enamel paints a little more “bite” so to speak, when I airbrush that type of paint. Certainly superior to other enamel thinners that I had used in the past. Ah well. 

I know that they’re gone, and that my search for those product replacements, for the time being, will continue.

2 hours ago, Ralph Nardone said:

Lamenting the passing of Testors has slowly evolved into beating a dead horse.  To paraphrase the Pythons:

"They're not pinin'!  They've passed on!  Testors is no more!  Testors has ceased to be!  They've expired and gone to meet their maker!  They're a stiff!  Bereft of life, they rest in peace!  They've kicked the bucket, shuffled off their mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! TESTORS IS AN EX-COMPANY!!"

And as I've posted several times to several forums, there is literally NOTHING Testors marketed than cannot be found elsewhere.  Not even the High Gloss and Wet Look lacquers...

Ralph, I am well aware that Testors is extinct, eliminated, done, fried, hanged, shot, strangled, drowned, suffocated, executed, done for, bought the farm, vanished, gone away, been permanently reduced, listened while the fat lady sang and involuntarily welcomed the grim reaper.  The entire point of my post was that RPM et al should have had the decency to kill the testors.com website so that inexperienced and/or beginning modelers won't stumble over the testors website and waste time trying to find some shop such as Hobby Lobby  (Don't say it.  I know they're not a hobby shop.) that carries Model Master or Testors paints.  All that remains is for me to post a photo of Testors' current employer with whom they have permanently merged:

608538891_Reaper33.jpg.ade46684b42ff78eb94edb6fd072442a.jpg

• Like 1

To Testors.... So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye!