Squadron returns from the dead!

SkyKing

It’s alive! It’s ALIVE!

This was posted on the Steel Navy forum:

Hello Everyone!  

Not sure how many of you remember me, but I've been lurking in the background now for a few years. As fate would have it, a once in a lifetime opportunity has presented itself to my team and I and we have grabed it with both hands! I am excited to announce that a few weeks ago, I purchased the squadron.com and MMD-Squadron.com businesses! We have been working tirelessly over the past few weeks to prepare for a relaunch of squadron.com. Still lots of things to do, but we're targetting June for a relaunch. If you're interested in finding out more, please take a peak at the site and sign up to be notified how we're doing.  

Personally, I'm excited to once again be back in the model retail world and am looking forward to the future of our hobby! 

Happy Modeling! 
Chris Decker 
Squadron.com 

formerly: 
Tridenthobbies.com 
Midship Models 
Yankee Modelworks

GREAT! I already signed up for your updates. If you keep the store in Carrolton, Texas please consider re-starting your one day open house to visit live and purchase things.

Bob Walker IPMS 17121

Yup! I got an email from them yesterday explaining the relaunch of Squadron. I am looking forward to being able to get their products again! I really do like their stuff for 1/48 aircraft and 1/35 armor.

I wish them well, but they are fighting years of neglect and disgruntled customers.  They have a lot of proving to do!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeteJ said:

I wish them well, but they are fighting years of neglect and disgruntled customers.  They have a lot of proving to do!

I was just gonna say; they'll have to prove they are better than the previous owner/operator. I also hope this new owner is friendlier and more agreeable to 1/72 scale armor modelers too.

The question I (and others) have is: Why would anyone go to the expense and effort to resurrect a business and brand that has had such a bad reputation for the last several years, especially without those components that made it unique? Without Squadron/Signal’s books, True Details resin parts, Superscale decals, Czech Models, and Encore kits, the “new” Squadron is just another hobby retailer competing against the likes of Sprue Brothers, Kitlinx, Hannants, and HobbyLinkJapan, to name just a few. It makes no sense.

Edited by SkyKing

2 hours ago, SkyKing said:

The question I (and others) have is: Why would anyone go to the expense and effort to resurrect a business and brand that has had such a bad reputation for the last several years, especially without those components that made it unique? Without Squadron/Signal’s books, True Details resin parts, Superscale decals, Czech Models, and Encore kits, the “new” Squadron is just another hobby retailer competing against the likes of Sprue Brothers, Kitlinx, Hannants, and HobbyLinkJapan, to name just a few. It makes no sense.

Since when did anything to do with modeling make sense?😆

2 hours ago, SkyKing said:

Bingo. 

What's that old saying?  "You can never go home again."

I left Ft. Lauderdale 20 years ago.  I've been back, and all the signs say "Ft. Lauderdale", but it will never be the Ft. Lauderdale I knew as a younger man.

It might say "Squadron" on the letterhead, but to many of us, the "real" Squadron died the day Jerry sold it and retired.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 9:58 AM, RCTHEFOX said:

GREAT! I already signed up for your updates. If you keep the store in Carrolton, Texas please consider re-starting your one day open house to visit live and purchase things.

Bob Walker IPMS 17121

That building was sold to others. It’s not going to be home for the “new” Squadron.