BSG Viper Models

FrankBlanton

Just wondering why there have been no plastic models of either Vipers from the new BSG series put out by any of the traditional kit companies. Royalties too high? I have seen resin cottage industry Vipers out there but all are very pricey.

BTW my favorite Viper is still the original TV series Vipers. I have to say the mark II's from the new series are second and the "modern" Viper Apollo arrived on the Galactica from the mini-series would rank 3rd with me.

It would be nice if Fine molds picked up the new vipers along with the "old" Monogram kit in 48th or 35th scale. One can dream.

I too wish that they'd come out in plastic, but have bought all of the Black Sun Models resin kits, in 1/72nd, and they aren't bad at all. You should see the Raptor!! It's great.

I too would love to see some kits from the new BSG series - especially if I could afford to buy them....

(most of the stuff out there now is way above what my modeling budget can afford)

Moebius has a license and will be producing some kits from the new BSG, beginning with the Viper Mk II in 1/32. See their website for details...

Bob,

I looked over the site you listed & don't see anything for BSG. Can you give me a hint where to look?

(probably right in front of me, but I keep missing it!)

Thanks!

Bob,

I looked over the site you listed & don't see anything for BSG. Can you give me a hint where to look?

(probably right in front of me, but I keep missing it!)

Thanks!

Hi Tim,

I checked out the Moebius site and you are right. I can't find it either but it was up there a little while ago. You can go here http://www.culttvmanshop.com/Battlestar-Ga...TION_p_592.html

Hope this helps.

Max Bryant

IPMS #25146

Club Affiliations= NONE!

It may be one of the planned kits that are delayed. There was a notice in the News section.

Wow, I cannot wait for this! I wonder why nothing was done with the license during the initial run of the reimagined series....

I suspect they want to see how successful the series was going to be. They made the announcement at Wonderfest this year, and based on everything else on their plate, I would be surprised to see anything from them on this until about this time next year.

There is a "curse" that seems to follow a TV show after awarding a license to produce models based on the show. Take BSG TOS as an example. That show was cancelled by ABC (prematurely, I still believe) before the first of the four licensed kits came out from Monogram. AMT had Star Trek TOS, and that show barely lasted three seasons (only syndication kept up the value of the models until the movies and TNG came along).

I applaud the producers of the 21st Century BSG series for completing the run and not risking cancellation because of the jinx of awarding licenses to R-M. :smiley20::smiley31:

Ed

Wow, I cannot wait for this! I wonder why nothing was done with the license during the initial run of the reimagined series....

A good friend of mine was a writer for seasons 1 & 2 (Carla Robinson). I was out in LA once after she started working, but before the second season started and she took me out to Universal for the "real" tour. I got to meet Ron & David, as well as David, Toni and Bradley (the people in her direct unit). I had made her a small Galalctica on the laser - crude but fairly close. Ron had seen it and asked if I could make her one, but I had a HD crash a few months earlier and the file was lost.

Anyway, during our talk the topic turned towards models as he'd remembered I ran a model shop. We talked about licensing and such. He was ready to do it and get models out there, as he'd get a cut. The problem was the lawyers at Universal he said. They had been in negotiations with Revell for some time and had made a deal between the production company and Revell. The studio, however, had to have final approval on everything after the production company had their say, in addition to a higher licensing fee.

So, in the end, Revell came to an agreement with Universal and had announced at iHobby in 2006(?) they were able to bring back the old stuff and would be producing five new kits. There was great speculation as to which five kits would be made, and Ed Sexton wasn't saying. I had Carla ask Ron, and was told ithad been agreed to make a Viper Mk2, Viper Mk7, Raptor, Cylon Raider and Galactica. I was pretty close because Ed was surprised when I asked him those were the correct kits!

When Revell was bought, the new owners decided to not produce them (or any other totally new kit for the last three years!) and somehow the license was purchased/transferred/renegotiated by Mobeius.

Take BSG TOS as an example. That show was cancelled by ABC (prematurely, I still believe) before the first of the four licensed kits came out from Monogram.

This is not a good example as the models were actually out before the show was on TV. You might recall that they released the pilot as a movie in "Sensuround" the summer before the series was released. The models were out in that gap. Also many of the Cylon raiders used to film episodes were built from the production kits not the usual filming minatures.

Another example like this was Buck Rogers, same release movie the summer before the series started but I don't know that they used any models for filming...

John, I stand corrected on BSG TOS kits. Thank you!

Ed

Sorry Ed, it's just when you get to my age you have fight to keep what memeories you have..... :smiley23:

That and I worked at the hobby store when they came out.... I did a window display with black lights (the store was in a shopping mall) and they really helped to move the kits, we couldn't keep them in stock.... Between it and 1/4" dowels with pink flourscent spray paint for lasers.... Ah the memories.....

Absolutely correct on the TOS BSG kits. They came out before the show actually debuted and were available right through to the bitter, ugly, Galactica 1980 debacle of an end.

Babylon 5 kits did not appear until that show had almost run its course....

Max Bryant