1/48 Monogram OA-4M Skyhawk

ghodges

This was a 10-day "quickie" build that I started during the "Skyhawk" week on the D&S FB page. This was the only major variant of the A-4 I didn't have on my shelves already, is a simple build, and so I decided (in my best Cleavon Little) to "whip it out"!   ;D

The build is OOTB, with the only problems encountered of my own making (like cracking the fuselage seams while trying to shove a paint handle up the tailpipe.... :o ). One little "cheat" you can see is that instead of bothering to fill and sand the round mold marks inside the flaps (there's 5 of 'em!), is that I used a pin to make screw heads and turn them into "inspection panels"...... ;D  The only other trick used on this build was to drill and pin the bombs and missiles for better security in the future during handling.

80s Monogram decals are notorious for problems with the milky white adhesive used at that time. However, I have to say that these kit decals went down superbly, defying all of my expectations! I did use VERY warm water to soak them off of the sheet, and also used a brush to remove that milky adhesive from the backing paper before applying the decals, so maybe that helped. I used Future as the gloss coat too, and perhaps that contributed to their blending in and laying down so well. In any case, the decaling stage was a very pleasant surprise on this build!

2059838037_003(2).thumb.JPG.20b1c7758a2cd1e3894e34aa7af28edb.JPG

004.thumb.JPG.2c00beb7be1be51316f24bd0ea155662.JPG

006.thumb.JPG.b7bb0eca986528fc42d0f9551ecab477.JPG

009.thumb.JPG.a212423baaa3f63948b05f3eec097156.JPG

011.thumb.JPG.00d70ecaeec923c1f09a8cc739cf7dcf.JPG

010.thumb.JPG.68827d7c430a7f9f6dd1473f4af2573c.JPG

Questions, comments, and critiques welcome, as always. Cheers!

Gil :smiley16:

I love it! A beautiful classic Monogram OOB build! And quite a clever idea, I might add, to turn the mold ejection pin marks into some sort of intended detail, even if it is fictitious. Sheriff Bart and the Waco Kid would approve of your improvisation.

Very nice build, Gil, even if it is a Marine bird ;}.  One thing I've noticed on a lot of Scooter builds is there is no step at the back where the slats sit. The slats actually sit on top of the wing.    Why all the manufacturers haven't corrected that error is beyond me.

Greetings Gil

Very Nice aircraft. May I ask if the canopy was "Dipped" looks super Clear.

Well Done

Bill

• 4 weeks later...