What are they smoking at REVELL

Narampa

I built a model of the USS CONSTITUTION and after spending a lot of time on that project. I found their was a problem with their moulding process. You can check out my other posts. After struggling with that kit. I though it would be nice to build the CUTTY SARK.

WRONG WRONG WRONG!!

Checkout the attached picture. The masts are not right. I checked the plans and reviewed my work and it is impossible that I made a mistake. The two masts fit in two holes in the deck that are configured in such a way that they can only face the directions shown.

Is it possible that Revell employees are smoking dope?

Any Ideas?

4F91D81C-4133-456E-ABB9-0E90BCE2AD31.jpeg

Yes. Modify the peg and/or locating hole and turn it around. 

Kit designers and mold makers are only human. Part of what makes us modelers and not just assemblers is identifying their mistakes and fixing them!   

Nick Filippone

Which kit by Revell is this? If it’s the 1/96 kit, I’m looking at the instructions on Scalemates and your center deck section looks to be reversed. That opening in the deck by the main mast should forward of the main mast, not aft. That would cause your main mast to be facing opposite.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/0/3/5/944035-29-instructions.pdf

7 minutes ago, Stikpusher said:

Which kit by Revell is this? If it’s the 1/96 kit, I’m looking at the instructions on Scalemates and your center deck section looks to be reversed. That opening in the deck by the main mast should forward of the main mast, not aft. That would cause your main mast to be facing opposite.

You are so correct! I managed to remove the deck and reverse it. 
You sir have made my day. Thank you.
I am new to this and I must apologize to Revell 

Most wives don't appreciate model building,  and this has led to many divorces.

A friend had a wive that declared "it's me or your plastic toys", to which he replied "I sure will miss you"

Pick and choose your battles, Narampa

Don't be so hard on yourself Lawrence.  It has happened to us all.  I have made plenty of mistakes in the past.  Years back when I was an AC builder, I built a 1/32 scale F-4 Phantom that I was quite proud of.  I took it to the club meeting and proudly displayed and discussed the build with members.  After my presentation, I asked if there were any comments.  A good friend of mine said the star and bars are upside down!  I couldn't believe I missed something so obvious.  EMBARRASSING, and everyone had a good laugh!!  Most of the meeting was then spent by the group discussing mistakes all have made.

• Haha 1

No worries. Most every one of here has made some similar error in our model building past. This hobby is supposed to be relaxing. But sometimes it is anything opposite that. 
If you haven’t built a Dragon kit yet, just wait until you get to one of those. THEN you will really wonder what someone has been smoking... 🤨

Edited by Stikpusher

4 hours ago, jcorley said:

Most wives don't appreciate model building,  and this has led to many divorces.

A friend had a wive that declared "it's me or your plastic toys", to which he replied "I sure will miss you"

Pick and choose your battles, Narampa

You bet.

On 5/8/2021 at 11:29 AM, Stikpusher said:

Good observation and response.

Thanks John. Just doing what I can to be helpful here.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I like that Carlos posted that this hobby is supposed to be relaxing.  Often times it is, but sometimes, like when I am fiddling with a part of a model that is very delicate and might either break or fall off from my unintentional efforts at simply gluing or painting something in said part's near vicinity and that said part may break or fall off etc.  Oh the tension and headache, the anything opposite relaxing, lol.  Still, I would like to see the recovery and build of this model.  I too have a Cutty Sark in my stash and have just completed a Roman Warship. 

Nuclear submarine kits are a good antidote… a lot fewer small fragile parts to go wrong… 😉

• 7 months later...

If you want a decent plastic kit of the Cutty Sark the old Airfix one is not a bad kit.

The Imai one seems to be the best that I have heard about, but seems difficult to obtain. Scale Warship in the UK did a set of photo etched detailing for the Imai kit. Pity they did not look at the Airfix one as there would probably been more market opportunity as the kit appears year on year in the Airfix Catalogue.

Scale Warship has also done stuff for the Airfix Victory and the Revell Vasa kits.

Edited by noelsmith
Typo