Tramp Steamer/Hawaiian Pilot

Portside

New here. Knowing the classification fits a multitude of ships, I am looking for Liners, Cargo and or Freighters that would fit the bill of the convoy ships of WW2. Have even considered using hulls of other ships to build from scratch. Any help in available kits out there would be a help.  The Hawaiian Pilot is a great option but can't find it. But I am not picky. Scale is not an issue. Just not microscopic or something I need to smash a bottle champaign across the bow on. Thanks everyone. My EM: bill.pepper@charter.net

Bill,

Wow.  You chose a really esoteric category of model to specialize in.  I know what you're dealing with, as my company produces only American Civil War naval subjects. 

I would suggest that you checkout Shapeways (https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/miniatures/ships).  They are a 3D printing company that has many products that Shapeways shop owners sell to the public.  Unfortunately, most of the products are pretty pricey, but I guess it just depends how badly you want them.  The link I provided will take you right to the ships section.

Good luck.

Trumpeter's Jeremiah O'Brien or John Brown Liberty Ships will fill the bill as tramp steamers.   After the war many were seconded to commercial maritime operators.  remove the gun tubs and paint in house colors and you are good to go for a civilian subject.  They are plastic in 1:350 and 1:700 scales.    PitRoad made some 1:700 scale versions as AKs.   There are also resin & brass kits of Liberties from L'Arsenal amd Iron Shipwright in 1:350

Loose Cannon made some 1:700 scale resin & brass C-1, C-3, and C-4 subjects as well as some tanker and interwar subjects.   They may be a little harder to find as Hugh Letterly (LC-West) and Dave Angelo (LC-East) have parted

The Hawaiian Pilot kit, a real blast from the past! I seem to remember that old Revell kiit .. being around way back in the 1960's. It seems to be one of the few that Revell have not kept re popping from time to time down the years!