New Member. Bill from Alabama

Portside

I have recently retired from my second job and have pulled the tarp off the model hobby. Old ships and the sea are my second loves. But like most of us, we have one main love that keeps us busy. Family.  I have spent some time searching for merchant ships of the Tramp Steamer classification. I know there are many types of Liners and Cargo ships that were offered into service in the late 30's and 40's for the war effort and ideally, there is no official designation of a Tramp Steamer. Some years ago Revell or Lindberg offered a nice set of 3 ships in one box. No longer to be found or made. There are manufactures of models out there that can make a buck if they would bring back some of these nostalgic models. The Antique Flea Markets can't keep real Nautical items on the shelves and have a hard time finding them. Looking for Liners and or Cargo ships...Tramp Steamers that would have been a good U boat target.

Talking to a friend last week, he gave me your info. Said this site has helped him with his questions. Modeling in the south is a tough nut to crack if you are looking for information.

By the way. I married a Grand Rapids girl. If this helps, I will be grateful.

Thanks for your time guys. Be safe. Bill

Glad you're here Bill! If you haven't posted this down in the nautical area, please do so. That way people like yourself with ship building and kit knowledge (I'm an airplane guy) will see it and you'll have a better chance of getting "expert" help.

On a more positive note, don't give up on those Tramp Steamers! Lindberg has been rereleasing many of their older items and other companies have picked up older Aurora (and other) molds and are putting them out again. As we modelers "gray" the companies are realizing there IS a market for nostalgia!

You didn't mention any particular scale....so you might want to do a search for RESIN ship models. There are many made that you'll never see listed in a regular on-line shop or catalog, though I can't say how popular standard civilian types are compared to the plethora of military models. And. of course, they are more expensive...but they might be your only game in town these days.

Best of luck, and welcome to our forum!

Gil :smiley16:

Being 68 years old, nostalgia is about all I know. Thank you for the info regarding some increased interest by companies to remold and reissue some of these models.

I will take your suggestion and enter my info there. I am very impressed with the apparent business like approach to this fantastic hobby and life style.

Bill, welcome to our Forums! I also love nautical models; although most wouldn't know that given my propensity for building small scale armor. I do hope you get the information you need. Having lived in Northwest Florida (Or 'South Alabama!') I know how scarce model shops and information is down there.

Welcome once again!