What makes it a figure diorama?

Dakimbrell

This diorama has a total of 25 figures and  it is my intention to enter it as a figure dioramas, large composition. Does anyone see a problem with that?

Dak

IMG_5180.JPG

IMG_5167.JPG

Nope.  This sort of thing is exactly what the category is for.  Always remember (I'm sure you're aware of this) the story the diorama tells, and how well it tells it, (plus the workmanship of course) is the key.

BTW, well done!  The accompanying photo is a nice touch.

27 minutes ago, Rusty White said:

This sort of thing is exactly what the category is for.  Always remember (I'm sure you're aware of this) the story the diorama tells, and how well it tells it, (plus the workmanship of course) is the key.

Rusty, that is my take, also, but I have others feel my opinion is grossly wrong. In 2011, I had one with a vehicle which I enter in figure diorama and it got moved removed from where it had a good chance at a win (IMO) to the vehicle category where it got lost in the crowd.

The contest rules have vague points in them and people seem to have a fit when there is a challenge. I just don't want a big argument at the show because this surprises someone. Nothing actually states what is the clear defining line between diorama categories.

Viva Las Vegas!

Dak

But perhaps stick a piece of tape over the 'Captured SdKfz ... ' plaque on the front of the base.   It confuses the story you want to tell.   You are capturing all of these figures at 'a moment in time', but your SdKfz was captured long enough ago to have US markings field applied.    The half-track is the centerpiece, but the story is the men.

24 minutes ago, EFGrune said:

But perhaps stick a piece of tape over the 'Captured SdKfz ... ' plaque on the front of the base.   It confuses the story you want to tell.

I disagree, Ed. The whole scene was inspired by the captured half-tracks in the picture and the desire to show the Germans surrendering. Without the figures, some people would not get the significance of the stars on the vehicle. In my opinion, the 25 figures dominate the scene and tell the story. If the 251 was removed, it would not change the story. The halftrack is merely background, like the wall.

And they won't be judging the plaque. Noting that it is captured is an effort to inform those that are confused by a Nazi vehicle with American markings. I didn't want someone thinking it is part of some German deception like Panzer Brigade 150.

The rules say nothing about what separates vehicle dioramas from figure dioramas.

Dak

1 hour ago, ShutterAce said:

A vehicle diorama is 2 or more vehicles. That is what I based my opinion on.

That is not what the rules say. Two or more vehicles is a large comp diorama. But there is nothing that says you can’t have ten vehicles and one figure in figure diorama. The ten vehicles would just make it large comp. 

I.E. Tank Man and ten T-59s. 😉

Dak