50 Chevy rust truck

MikeH

Well, below is my inspiration to do this build. I won't have mine "bagged" like these where they sit on the ground, but I hope to get it at an agressive stance none the less.

51chevy.jpg

48ChevyPU.jpg

47Chevytruck.jpg

My progress thus far -

Initial dark rust colored base -

DSC00691.jpg

Next, a few random shots with orange hither and yon, followed by a spattering of a tan/mustard/yellowish color

DSC00692.jpg

Finally tonight, a helping of liquid mask, a fogging of a lighter rust color, and a salting treatment that's now drying. When it's completely dry, I'll shoot the color coat(s) depending on the mood. :smiley4:

DSC00694.jpg

DSC00695.jpg

Mike,

Looks great. Please keep us informed. I did the salt mask on an SU-100 and was not pleased with the results. Definitely looking forward to seeing how yours works.

Neat !!!

So what's "bagged" mean exactly (I can guess from the picture) ? Do they actually drive them ?

My slang term for an air ride/air bag suspension. It allows these guys to drop the truck/car/whatever to the ground.

In my first life, I was a stock green pickup bought from the Chevy dealership for Dad's farm...

DSC00696.jpg

And then one day junior painted me a "groovy" shade of blue. Wow did he get verbally abused by his father! Wow! Well, the color was on, and nothing could be done about it at that point. It wasn't long before junior graduated high school and toodled off to college. I stayed on the farm for many more years until my engine locked up. The old man pushed me back in the trees where I remained through many a season's change. I was all but forgotten until one day when junior came back home and saw "that old truck" sitting in the trees. Fond memories of the old truck brought back the itch to get it running again. My body's still in pretty rough shape, but I think he's got a new rear end, suspension, exhaust, and I think he may have even found me a new motor at a swap meet! burningrubber

All the goodies sprayed from the bottom up. The top would be sun-bleached, and experience the most abuse.

DSC00697.jpg

DSC00699.jpg

A cleaner blue under the protected hood area.

DSC00700.jpg

OK, so here I sit, rusted out body parts and all. My owner is in the midst of a dilemma and is trying to determing if he wants mags and fat whites, or a set of other wheels with or without whites.... That aside, I'm still unsure of my running future. My exhaust is GONE. That'll have to be new I'm sure. The rear end and drive train is in good condition though spotty with rust. The in=line 6 he found at the swap meet is a go though! A little TLC and it'll be good I think!

Below are various lighting. The darker pictures show the true look of the build presently. The flash really brightened up the blue in the first two.

DSC00701.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00703.jpg

DSC00704.jpg

DSC00705.jpg

So the paint's destroyed but not good enough just yet. Time to ruin it some more...

This is a "dot filter" weathering technique as described in Finescale Modeler for those that may not read the magazine. What I'm about to do may make you wonder through the pictures, but in the end you'll see... First, I used a super fine sandpaper to lightly scuff the surface of the already muttled paint. One, maybe two quick strokes, and that was it to smooth/blend the surface and expose the green a touch more.

The next part, utilizes oil paints. I chose dark grey, yellow ochre, yellow ochre pale, and raw sienna.

DSC00707.jpg

A bit extreme for this example, but I'll get the rest of the truck a bit less (this is the part of the truck box facing the cab).

1. I choose my paints and dot the colors on at random

DSC00708.jpg

2. Next, dip your brush in the oil thinner and drag the oil paint down.

DSC00709.jpg

3. Continue to wipe your brush clean and repeat the process until there is no heavy paint left.

DSC00710.jpg

4. Here's before and after shots. It's not an extreme difference, but what you've now done is create a "filter" of sorts to trick your eyes and dull down the paint and give a better "petina" to the worn paint. I'll continue this process on the rest of the truck.

BEFORE

DSC00706-1.jpg

AFTER

DSC00711.jpg

Not much progress today. The "filter" wash is done on the body parts and a mock up with the wheels. I put the engine together and have yet to paint it. Here it is mocked up. This is approximately the ride height it'll be at depending upon how I get the suspension to sit.

DSC00712.jpg

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

Still Looking good. Do you plan to leave the grill FULLY chromed?

Mark

No. I just put it on for mock-up purposes. I'll give it the pastel and hairspray treatment before it's done. :smiley2:

A bit of progress finally. I got the engine assembled and a sludge wash applied for a gamy look. I've still got a lot of weathering to do yet. I found a terrific idea for the bed and wood problem too. :D

DSC00723.jpg

DSC00724.jpg

DSC00725.jpg

DSC00726.jpg

When you detail the windshield wipers later, remember that rubber, not rust, touches the glass. The wiper arms also will weather differently than the paint on the hood and body. Your photos show you have not reached this detail yet. I am not suggesting you will not pay attention to this detail, but I am amazed how many automotive modelers skip detailing the wipers that are essentially body color. I give them a ding for that error, no matter how great the deep wet gloss finish looks. :smiley18:

This is a great build so far. I'm looking forward to the completed beater truck.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a bit more progress from my owner. I've got a rolling chassis and drivetrain now. Unfortunately the wood in my bed was rotted well beyond use. The flip-side is that there was a good chunk of sheet metal left from when they patched up the morton building on the farm some years ago after a bad storm. A bit of angle iron and some welding and my box is good to go again! Please excuse the specs of white in the bed. Clearing the dried bird poop from the bed wasn't a priority when they were piecing it back together... giggle

DSC01197.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

DSC01199.jpg

Well, a bit more progress from my owner. I've got a rolling chassis and drivetrain now. Unfortunately the wood in my bed was rotted well beyond use. The flip-side is that there was a good chunk of sheet metal left from when they patched up the morton building on the farm some years ago after a bad storm. A bit of angle iron and some welding and my box is good to go again! Please excuse the specs of white in the bed. Clearing the dried bird poop from the bed wasn't a priority when they were piecing it back together... giggle

DSC01197.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

DSC01199.jpg

Very nice job so far. I am looking forward to the finished model. Have you thought about doing an article for the Journal. I am sure that Chris would like to have one on this nice build. Have a nice day.

David Von Almen

Gentleman Modeler

Very nice job so far. I am looking forward to the finished model. Have you thought about doing an article for the Journal. I am sure that Chris would like to have one on this nice build. Have a nice day.

David Von Almen

Gentleman Modeler

I agree.