Packing Contest Models for Air Travel

rdelaney

Anyone here have any experience with packing models for air travel? I am thinking about flying to Las Vegas for this year's Nationals. Looking for tips in this area. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Start here.  https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-6801/Special-Use-Boxes/Pelican-1510-Equipment-Case 9X14X22 standard for carryon luggage.  Pelican is the top of the line.  The pick and pluck foam lets you make custom enclosures for your models that hold them firmly but securely.  Yes, it is not cheap, but you are trusting you prized models to it. Oh, and Uline probably isn't the least expensive place to buy it.  I just use it because it was easy for me to find.  It is waterproof and has an air valve to release pressure from the altitude changes that happen when flying. 

Here is tutorial to give you an idea how it works. 

Being a carry on precludes it from getting it tossed around the baggage gorillas on the ramp.  Good luck and see you there! 

Edited by PeteJ

B&H Photo has the same case for much less money & offers free expedited shipping.  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Pelican™ 1510 Equipment Case&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma I usually get items shipped from New York to Arizona in 3 days.  I have a couple Pelican cases for my camera gear.  They are 2nd to none for quality & packing security.

Edited by nmertes

The thought of packing a build for air travel to take to the Nats just sounds so daunting. Even as a carry on, it has the risk of being roughly handled by aircrew or other passengers in the overhead bins. Good luck! 

• 2 months later...

Bob,

Here is a photo of my haul to the Orlando Nats back in 2012.  A clear plastic storage bin with a snap-on top.  All done with homebuilding insulation sheathing, toothpick and pins and rubber bands. 
Suitable for the overhead bin of a Southwest 737 at the time.  Have since taken entries across the pond on a British Airways 777 for Telford.  No ill effect to them from travel.  Just have to be careful not to drop the box...  Hope it helps.

RB

packing.jpg