M4A3 Sherman 105mm Howitzer

catdude01

Hi Fellas:

Tamiya oooooooooold really old Sherman M4A3 105 mm Howitzer just for the fun of it.

Lot of stuff can be done to correct here and there, adding PE, changing wheels for AFV, and hull from Italeri, etc..but forget it, this is a build to have fun, so is going out of the box, except for the metal barrel of course.

Here was my start during the spare time in the week. The kit is done in a few hours.

IMG_6655_zpsjhqqe1wr.jpg

The next day, after sanding the lines in the turret and make some texture on it using the Tamiya thin glue (melting the plastic surface and making texture using a brush with stiff bristles.)

Primer was applied using a can from Walmart. Also the figure was base painted using vallejo colors.

IMG_6812_zpscxapxt5j.jpgIMG_6813_zpsfedoyxjd.jpg

The fun part begins, using black and white from Tamiya, the step 1 of the black & white modulation.

IMG_6841_zpsxzv90ywc.jpgIMG_6844_zpsawfdavko.jpgIMG_6845_zpsuwzwtzx6.jpg

Step two of the Black & White modulation continues with detailing white parts using a brush with Vallejo white.

Look how the parts painted in brush pop out of the kit!

IMG_6847_zpsofppnqpp.jpgIMG_6855_zpskinovamf.jpg

Step 3 of the Black & White Modulation adding glazes of Black, pin washes to underlines lines, holes, etc.

Some pre weathering also started.

IMG_6857_zpsuc0rmyuv.jpgIMG_6858_zpsgeapx4lc.jpgIMG_6859_zpshxbzww0m.jpgIMG_6860_zps7e3fcl5k.jpgIMG_6863_zpst7uqhf47.jpg

Step 4 of the black & white modulation. Added some chipping, scratches and darker glazes and pinwashes and a more dark weathering.

IMG_6885_zpsnueeysga.jpgIMG_6890_zpsmuzfsc6s.jpgIMG_6891_zpszivsbyij.jpgIMG_6892_zpscmfxp9hg.jpgIMG_6893_zpselqx3beu.jpgIMG_6894_zpsbwejhu9x.jpgIMG_6895_zpsnzzwjbl9.jpg

I make this gif file so you can see more clearly the progress between the Black & White steps.

sherman%20black%20and%20white_zpsqkzrd3h

progress, 2 layers of faded olive drab using a mix of tamiya olive drab and dark yellow.

On a closer look you can see the details done in black & white showing between the layers.

IMG_7055_zpsazqucpe0.jpgIMG_7052_zpsu9tcioux.jpgIMG_7048_zpsafkyrqsa.jpgIMG_7047_zps2hevv8nt.jpgIMG_7045_zpswvssbqay.jpg

I sealed again the kit with satin varnish and leave it to rest for 24 hours, so while this goes on, Here I share another Gif showing the steps of the tank in black and white but now showing the first step with colors.

sherman%20black%20and%20white%20color_zp

Sherman WIP: first a filter using model master sand, then another filter using burnt umber. Last a wash using mig brown for dark green and a pin wash using PLW black night.

IMG_7151_zpsndygqzn8.jpg

the real deal comes when you start doing the green color. You have to switch your mind to paint like you were using water colors looking for transparent results, so the previous work can be shown between the layers. Yes you eventually will need to retouch some of the work, but you have the advantage that you can see where exactly. In my case was minimal .

I just sealed again the work for the decals process, meanwhile I can start painting the tools and all the small parts that were left out of the big painting process.

IMG_7143_zpsmd6nbu19.jpg

here is with the markings done using template from Lion Roar WWII US Vehicles Markings 1. First time using it and I must say I love the results.

IMG_7405_zpsk6clqm8g.jpgIMG_7406_zpsqxz1slzy.jpgIMG_7409_zpso6t8husa.jpgIMG_7408_zpsgmrqj0y5.jpgIMG_7410_zpsd7cedw8n.jpg

Well this has been an impressive ride Pedro! Brilliant work so far! Looking forward to seeing more.

I also love the GIF's, what a treat seeing everything all in order like that.

• Like 1

Some progress on the Sherman, started the Fading process using oils.

I used some blue oils for the shadows and some yellows for the highlights. I Blend the yellows and the blues separated from each other and here you can see the results.

FullSizeRender_2_zpsac2xxpaw.jpgFullSizeRender1_zpslu6rrx6b.jpgFullSizeRender_1_zpsrpany0pe.jpgFullSizeRender_3_zpsg4jz1dtd.jpgFullSizeRender_4_zpsjck0jds1.jpgFullSizeRender_zpsv2jbauf6.jpgFullSizeRender1_zpspcxikgaw.jpg

2 hours ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Very interesting process. That looks impressive.

Thank you! its a learning process with this subject.So far I'm very pleased with the results.

Well this fella has come to the finish line, Dust and mud added, figure done, lens lights added using Sticko silver dots, stowage is handmade using Aves Epoxy, just need to add a rope and some loose tools. Hope you like it, its a great kit considering the old it is.

P1079169_zpsll79bs6t.jpgP1079171_zps2byamana.jpgP1079184_zpsarro5inv.jpgP1079181_zpsbkoqxjyu.jpgP1079190_zpsa29kccs4.jpgP1079189_zps9mgc9ntz.jpgP1079195_zpsqurimn2l.jpg

So on this final animation you can see the whole process in seconds to the final stage. Hope you like it and can help you work on yours!

output_wGd2Wa_zps6sfcxxgk.gif

I added some 50mm caliber ammo cases around the turret to add more realism.

PB060421_zpssqku0fya.jpg

Oh nice! I love the spent .50 brass on top of the turret. That is an excellent touch.

• Like 1