Enamel Paint Desert Question

VonL

CAUTION - WHINEY COMMENT FOLLOWS:

Been away from this forum for a bit, so apologies if I missed the answer to this question: Is it true that Revell is planning to fill the enamel-market void left by the departure of Modelmaster? Got some RUMINT on this at our brick-n-mortar LHS.

Good news: I just saw some enamels listed with a Revell label on Kitlinx, which might be it. Bad news: Do they really have to sell it in (re-labeled?) Humbrol-style tinlets? Am trying to imagine a more cumbersome paint container. Maybe they should try the little blob-tube that Heller used for glue? Or fill up a ping-pong ball with paint? A thin, plastic craft-bag? Paint-ball ammo?  

Those tins that you find so troublesome will keep the paint fresher longer. Use pipettes to transfer the paint from tin to airbrush cup or bottle. If brush painting, make sure the rim of the tin and the lid are clean of paint before resealing. I have tins of Humbrol that are going on 60 years old and are still good thanks to this practice.

Good to know Michael. I am also a bit annoyed by the tins, but if they keep the paint that long, I guess I have to adapt and overcome. I just hope the Revell paints are at least as good if not better, than the Model Master which is my go-to paint.

• Like 1

One of the local shops here in Phoenix said that he was going to be carrying Revell enamels once they were available, to fill to void left by Model Master. And yes, with a few simple techniques, you will find much longer shelf lives with your tinned paints than with bottles. I have Revell tins over 20 years old and Humbrol tins almost 35 years old that are as good as when I bought them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Deliduka said:

Good to know Michael. I am also a bit annoyed by the tins, but if they keep the paint that long, I guess I have to adapt and overcome. I just hope the Revell paints are at least as good if not better, than the Model Master which is my go-to paint.

Mark, I personally think that Revell enamel paints are superior to Model Master I get better results both brush painting and airbrushing. Their only drawback by comparison is a more limited color selection. But you will find more German and RAL colors there than FS colors. But when combined with Humbrol you really get a wide color selection range.

• Like 1

And, if all else fails and you either don't have a local shop or the local shop doesn't carry an alternative, True North Precision Paints are, I'm told, nearly identical to Model Master.  You just have to order them online...

As I said when the initial "Woe is me, Testors is going away" posts started popping up on the various forii, Testors didn't have anything in their line that doesn't have an available alternative or alternatives that in some cases are better and/or more economical, it just means that you'll probably have to buy it online.  Seeing as "the local hobby shop" might not exist for many people, it is the way many of us get our hobby stuff.

Not affiliated with True North, just passing on what I've heard.  I'm an acrylic user myself, and have had to become familiar with alternatives to the Acryl line...

https://www.truenorthpaints.com/

• Like 1