Panel seams on a 1/72 Tiger Moth

buildingmymodel

Working on Airfix 1/72 Tiger Moth. The seams on the panels of the flying surfaces are quite visible on the actual aircraft. 

I made an attempt on the stabiliser to see if I could mimick these with some alu tape. See attached picture where half is done. 

I'm thinking it is too much, too bold. What is the opinion of the experienced people in the forum? Should I continue or redo? 

I can't cut the tape thinner. 

Thanks for your input and views. 

// Viktor

IMG_20210225_154359_706.jpg

I think you're on the right track using a strip of "something" to replicate the sewn fabric seams......The picture may a bit misleading since it's a close-up shot and makes the tape you're using look even more out of scale; but I think since YOU sense it's "too much", it is too much! What you're doing works really well in 1/48 and larger, but is probably a bit heavy handed for 1/72.

Michael's idea of using decal strips could work... provided you have a set of stripes that you know are on the thick side. However, the problem with using decals is that they're actually designed to blend in and disappear under a coat of clear paint, so you risk your efforts being wasted.

The only "tape" I can think of that has the thinness needed for 1/72 is plumbers tape. IF (and I say if because it is hard to handle without tangling) you could peel off a strip and get it laying flat on a hard surface (glass, tile, countertop, cutting board, etc.), you might be able to cut a thin strip and press it in place on the model. This might give you the very slight height difference you're seeking by using tape. A coat of paint would seal the strips in place.

Short of that, you can simply resort to faking it by painting the strips, making them a slightly different tone. You don't get the actual "step" using paint...but then in 1/72 that may be enough to carry off the effect.

Perhaps someone else will be here shortly to offer a better idea. Til then, hope this helps!

Gil :smiley16:

• Like 1

Check out an architectural supply.  What you're looking for is something on the order of Chart-Pak or similar graphic arts tape.  Graphic arts tape in varying widths is designed to follow curves, some of them fairly tight.  Staples carries black Chart Pak as narrow as 1/16", but I used to see it in artist's supply shops as narrow as 1/64" which is almost too narrow to see.  Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Viktor, I consulted one of my references on the Tiger Moth. This is Ray Rimell’s Aeroguide Classics Number 6 on the Tiger Moth. There are excellent closeups of the wing and horizontal stabilizer upper surfaces. On the tail especially, the rib effect is quite subtle and, respectfully, as molded by Airfix,    it is much closer to reality than what your rib tape efforts are achieving. In 1/72 and smaller scales, these techniques are inevitably over scale. I have used these tape techniques in scratch-building in these small scales, because there aren’t a lot of alternatives. It’s better than nothing, but not by much. If you want to emphasize these ribs, you might try simply pre- shading them with a dark colour, but I do not think it necessary. Good luck. Regards, Nick Filippone 

• Like 1

Clearly, they all do not look the same. To accomplish the appearance in this photo, I would mask on each side of each rib, and paint in between, by hand, with Mr. Surfacer 500 or 1000. When dry, peel away the masking tape. Then you can gently, lightly sand to remove any raised edge caused by the meniscus effect of the paint next to the masking tape. You can also lightly sand to make it less prominent if desired. If you make a mistake, you can  easily remove the entire new “rib” and redo it. I use this technique to restore raised panel lines. It is actually easy and very effective. Good luck. Nick

• Like 1