Jump to content

1:32 F-16 Build


StuartMont
 Share

Recommended Posts

The colours are orange and black. The black is easy to touch up. Try mixing a few shades of orange and touch up ( as with the black) with a dry brush so the paint does’t run or pool. The orange on the decal is not uniform. Even if it is not a perfect match, it will still  look better than it is now. Touching up messed up decals is also part of the learning process. Nick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I did use a solvent in the misplaced hope I could move the pieces after application.  I had to stop or make things much worse.  It sounds like all I needed to do was use water or the decal set and that is a lesson learned for sure.  BTW, I did try using water as suggested and the pieces would not budge (as also clearly stated).  This is the first time I did anything beyond simple application of the decals over a painted surface and there's no question they look a lot better with use of the gloss and specific procedures.  They go on a lot better.  Perhaps just in my imagination but they seem to "snap" to the surface now.

I'm not sure how to proceed yet.  I certainly can look for the decals on EBay but removing it appears to present a problem with damaging the underlying decal.  I still tend to get heavy handed some times.  Trying to use paint to fix the problem feels a bit much for my talents at this point (but please don't let my attitude stop you from making alternative recommendations to fix problems).  The tail is removable so I can access the decal easily any time.  I assume something (or nothing) must be done before I put the final gloss coat on.  

There was one other decal mishap and I hope this one gives you a laugh after a long day.  As it turns out I stopped short with the dark grey coat on the side of the fuselage.  Here's how I found out.  I cut out the "danger ejector seat" decal that goes on the side I was working on.  I applied the micro set and moved to put the decal in place.  As I noted it seemed to snap to the surface like a magnet but it literally disappeared!  I thought I dropped it.  Well, of course I can say it now, and you probably already have, the decal was designed for a much darker surface.  I'm not going to lie, I said a few cuss words as I searched for the decal before I finally realized what happened.

You guys are great and, thankfully, very patient.

Stuart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52D0CE5C-AAE0-4CEF-BB7E-AEBF0A3DBC5B.thumb.jpeg.1f55433737501f7e042ba14c9bf1db1a.jpegD75784D5-5ECB-4437-8DD7-47D9FEA2DAF8.thumb.jpeg.4a9b5590f42f69d4e886cd7cc2a855af.jpeg

Here is where I stand with this build. Still have to put a gloss coat over the decals and decide on any attempt at weathering the plane. I only have the models I have built since March 2020, nothing old to practice on 😀
 

I am going to make a wash to help make the engine look more realistic and will post results regardless. I believe it was suggested that a blackish brown wash would do the trick. 
 

Thanks as always!

Stuart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd call that a "win" despite the learning curve, and it certainly looks very good on your shelf!

I agree with the others, have pride in building a nice model, learn from it, and move on to your next "labor of love"! Thanks for letting us play along!

 

Gil :cool:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks very much.  I definitely did a better job of taking enough time to do this right and putting to use the suggestions and recommendations from you guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, StuartMont said:

Thanks very much.  I definitely did a better job of taking enough time to do this right and putting to use the suggestions and recommendations from you guys.

And that is what makes this hobby so fun and fulfilling. Having so many people willing to help and offer suggestions that help you improve and become better makes this the best hobby ever!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes it is!  I almost gave up after ruining the engine on the very first plane I tried to build (P-51D).  Happily I followed advice given on these forums.  Put that one on the shelf, opened the Spitfire and started asking questions.  Five models later I’m ready to build the P-51, my favorite.  I bought a new engine sprue on EBAY and am starting from scratch.

Stuart

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

454AB9C4-F97A-4E24-AFA1-676A7D5E44A8.thumb.jpeg.0259b2d4192721afe6eaa15e97ee09f7.jpeg8E15CC0C-B54A-4BE5-9547-BBCDAAD65E51.thumb.jpeg.9e89fb11563c66ead7888a86e54d746a.jpegCD957C62-99EF-418B-ACFE-816644AF980E.thumb.jpeg.731ec4bbe64cc66f315b29cdf7d064e0.jpeg
 

It took a while but I finally did it. Original engine at the bottom. Used lamp black artist oil with Mona Lisa thinner. Please provide your thoughts as this is the first time weathering for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...