1:32 F-16 Build

Just wanted to show you my progress on the model. I’m going to display the engine on the dolly next to the finished plane. As usual would love to hear comments and suggestions. 

thanks,

Stuart

9219BCFE-E3A8-4E21-90AD-72AE5CDC7E5D.jpeg

F4F151B2-F6F1-4A65-9C3B-004C51EB349B.jpeg

• Like 1

A light wash might highlight the details and bring it to life.  I've never seen an engine that clean, not even fresh from the factory. 

Thanks Gil.  I appreciate all of the advice provided by you folks on fixing the issue  

PeteJ - are you thinking of a specific color wash?  I’ll also do some research about it. Bought a book on weathering aircraft but still waiting for it. 

Stuart

Actually I use the thinner that I clean my brushes in.  It has kind of a blackish brownish tint to it.  Aircraft engines leak small amounts of oil(brown), hydraulic fluid(red) and jet fuel(basically kerosene)  and collect dirt.  For reference go out an look under your car.  The fluid darkens the dirt and gets into the crevices  of the engine.  When done right it looks like a very subtle shadow at the base of the vertical surface. The flat surfaces tend to get wiped off by the mechanics but they can't get down into the small spaces. 

That is excellent Stuart! I second Pete's recommendation for a wash. Blackish-brown is a great color for an engine wash.

I only have used acrylic paint and water to clean my brushes so I’ll look for a wash online. It looks like there’s lots to choose from. I do see that the majority of them seem to be enamel so cleaning brushes will be different. 

As always, thanks!

Stuart

41 minutes ago, StuartMont said:

I only have used acrylic paint and water to clean my brushes so I’ll look for a wash online. It looks like there’s lots to choose from. I do see that the majority of them seem to be enamel so cleaning brushes will be different. 

As always, thanks!

Stuart

Stuart, if you did the engine in acrylic then be sure you get the right wash.  You want a water based one, not solvent based.  You could make your own with a mix of 75% distilled water/25% alcohol.  Then just use a tiny drop or two or black and brown paint.  You want the was to be very thin.  Just a very light bit of color in all the grooves. 

There's a SAFER wash that you can use on ANY type of paint...a SLUDGE WASH.

Al you need are pastel chalks....the kind you usually use to brush/scrub on for weathering. Get the color chalk you want and scrape off some onto some wax paper so you (essentially) have a small pile of chalk dust. Now all you need to do is put it a container (I use a 2-liter bottle cap), add water and 1-2 drops of liquid dish washing soap, stir it all up and it's ready! You can make it as thin or thick as you feel is easiest to get the result you want.

Slather it around details and into recessed panel lines and let dry. You remove it by wiping GENTLY (in the direction of airflow and/or gravity) with a BARELY DAMP paper towel. If you rub too hard and remove too much...reapply and do it again.

The good thing about a chalk "sludge wash" is it will NOT stick to anything permanently. The bad thing is it will NOT stick to anything permanently! So, the trick with this wash is it has to be "sealed" with a clear coat to make it permanent. One other note...the clear coat tends to lessen the effect of the wash (as it does chalk weathering), so you may have to apply more, or go heavier than you thought to get the full effect of the wash. Hope this helps!

Gil :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Thanks very much for the “recipes” Pete and Gil.  Lot’s to consider to make the engine look more realistic. 

Stuart

Keep in mind applying the wash is an option...not a requirement. It'll be the difference between whether it looks like a museum display, or whether it was pulled out after usage. YOU get to decide how you want to have it look, despite any opinions here!

Gil